Zipcar

www.zipcar.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar

An innovative operation full of passionate, fun people

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were smart, fun, fantastic at their jobs, and passionate about transforming car sharing into an attractive alternative to car ownership. The rapid growth of the company provides a lot of opportunities to transition into other roles and move to other locations. And since the company is in the middle of transitioning from a relatively unstructured startup to a more structured corporation, there are a lot of opportunities to have an impact on the company if you take the initiative to make suggestions and improvements.

Cons

As the company has grown and more standards and procedures have been implemented, the autonomy of the regional offices has decreased. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it has led to some resentment from those who feel like their autonomy has diminished and their responsibilities are being taken away.

Also, the compensation and benefits are almost nonprofit-like. (I actually took a pay cut from a nonprofit job to work there.) Not surprising given that it is a young company still trying to reach profitability, but the passion for the product and entrepreneurial energy can only sustain employees for so long. At the time I left the company was just starting to turn its attention to this issue, so hopefully compensation levels and benefits are improving.

Continue building the HR function to ensure that employees feel appreciated.

78 Other Employee Reviews for Zipcar (View Most Recent)

My experience at Zipcar was progressive.

Former Employee - Marketing in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Zipcar supports teamwork and employees at the company are more than willing to work together to accomplish a task.

Cons

The departments at Zipcar tend to be secluded to the employees making employees of said department more cliquey with each other and not associated with others.

Taking a bit more active role in the tasks and everyday work of the employees can better the work ethic.

This is a great company with an amazing work culture.

I have been working at Zipcar

Pros

Some of the best people to work with.

Cons

Some of the technology is dated.

There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar