There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar

An innovative operation full of passionate, fun people

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were smart, fun, fantastic at their jobs, and passionate about transforming car sharing into an attractive alternative to car ownership. The rapid growth of the company provides a lot of opportunities to transition into other roles and move to other locations. And since the company is in the middle of transitioning from a relatively unstructured startup to a more structured corporation, there are a lot of opportunities to have an impact on the company if you take the initiative to make suggestions and improvements.

Cons

As the company has grown and more standards and procedures have been implemented, the autonomy of the regional offices has decreased. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it has led to some resentment from those who feel like their autonomy has diminished and their responsibilities are being taken away.

Also, the compensation and benefits are almost nonprofit-like. (I actually took a pay cut from a nonprofit job to work there.) Not surprising given that it is a young company still trying to reach profitability, but the passion for the product and entrepreneurial energy can only sustain employees for so long. At the time I left the company was just starting to turn its attention to this issue, so hopefully compensation levels and benefits are improving.

Advice to Management

Continue building the HR function to ensure that employees feel appreciated.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good pit stop

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard and bring something to the table then you'll move up quickly. The mission of the company ("to enable simple and responsible urban living") really resonated with me as well.

Cons

To me, the acquisition was a little toxic. Zipcar became less of a cool company and more of the rental car giant that acquired them. The ABG takeover changed the culture which in turn changed the business. It took forever for anything to happen, get fixed or change.

Advice to Management

Find Senior management outside of ABG to freshen things up. Revamp the HR department. Find a better way to connect field offices to each other as well as HQ.

2. Not bad

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Flexible schedule, good team atmosphere, gives you a chance to get to know the city

Cons

Lackadaisical management, favoritism, can be unprofessional

Advice to Management

Make sure there's good communication between manager of brand ambassadors and brand ambassadors