There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar

An innovative operation full of passionate, fun people

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were smart, fun, fantastic at their jobs, and passionate about transforming car sharing into an attractive alternative to car ownership. The rapid growth of the company provides a lot of opportunities to transition into other roles and move to other locations. And since the company is in the middle of transitioning from a relatively unstructured startup to a more structured corporation, there are a lot of opportunities to have an impact on the company if you take the initiative to make suggestions and improvements.

Cons

As the company has grown and more standards and procedures have been implemented, the autonomy of the regional offices has decreased. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it has led to some resentment from those who feel like their autonomy has diminished and their responsibilities are being taken away.

Also, the compensation and benefits are almost nonprofit-like. (I actually took a pay cut from a nonprofit job to work there.) Not surprising given that it is a young company still trying to reach profitability, but the passion for the product and entrepreneurial energy can only sustain employees for so long. At the time I left the company was just starting to turn its attention to this issue, so hopefully compensation levels and benefits are improving.

Continue building the HR function to ensure that employees feel appreciated.

59 Other Employee Reviews for Zipcar (View Most Recent)

Fun job, poor pay!

I worked at Zipcar part-time

Pros

Flexibility and Work/Life Balance plus lots of perks

Cons

Low pay for the type of work

Pay your people more because they deserve it!

Take this into consideration...

Former Employee - Member Services Associate
    Former Employee - Member Services Associate

I worked at Zipcar full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great culture prior and post acquisition, the local management teams cares about staff.

Cons

Some goals were not always reflective of the market's growth or member base, home office doesn't care to see what the local offices struggle with and how those struggles effected the market's operations.

Work as a lower level staff, such as a brand ambassador for a week with the goals in mind. While it does depend on the market and the type of event, sometimes, we really struggled.

There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar

Worked for Zipcar? Contribute to the Community!