There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar

An innovative operation full of passionate, fun people

I worked at Zipcar

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were smart, fun, fantastic at their jobs, and passionate about transforming car sharing into an attractive alternative to car ownership. The rapid growth of the company provides a lot of opportunities to transition into other roles and move to other locations. And since the company is in the middle of transitioning from a relatively unstructured startup to a more structured corporation, there are a lot of opportunities to have an impact on the company if you take the initiative to make suggestions and improvements.

Cons

As the company has grown and more standards and procedures have been implemented, the autonomy of the regional offices has decreased. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it has led to some resentment from those who feel like their autonomy has diminished and their responsibilities are being taken away.

Also, the compensation and benefits are almost nonprofit-like. (I actually took a pay cut from a nonprofit job to work there.) Not surprising given that it is a young company still trying to reach profitability, but the passion for the product and entrepreneurial energy can only sustain employees for so long. At the time I left the company was just starting to turn its attention to this issue, so hopefully compensation levels and benefits are improving.

Continue building the HR function to ensure that employees feel appreciated.

63 Other Employee Reviews for Zipcar (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to run ideas up the ranks easily.
    Fun offices
    Hip

Cons

Salary is poor
    Avis is starting to makie it extremely corporate

Could be better, but its a job...

I have been working at Zipcar full-time

Pros

generally youthful workplace despite having Avis take over. Good location in the city. casual dress code. Decent health benefits. Near GREAT coffee

Cons

Avis took over. Working in customer service is bad if you are an introvert. This is likely true for most companies

please have better training at handling escalated calls. fight for higher pay, we work hard with little reward.

There are newer employer reviews for Zipcar