Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of technical training and support. They keep you on the cutting edge. Good amount of opportunity.

Cons

If you catch a whale they will snatch it from you quickly and drop it on a undeserving enterprise reps lap sign sealed and delivered.

Advice to Management

Let your AE's do their thing and don't screw them over when they have a account that could make their carreer. Drop the good ole boy club mentality.

Other Employee Reviews for Zones

1. Entry Level stepping Stone to something better...

Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An opportunity to start somewhere after college with a livable wage and decent training that will help you get a better job later.

Cons

Start by seeing lengthy post below "catch the paycheck man" it's 100% accurate Additionally realize this is not a company you can build a career at for 95% of those hired into an entry level role. This is where you gain experience to leverage into another position at another company. Zones will NEVER give anyone in Sales a raise in base pay; you are literally building a small business from the ground up with their archaic sales tools and rules and they'll take 90% of the earnings for those services At some point if you make it 18-24 months ( around 65% turnover rate over 2 year period company wide) you'll have figured out 80% of the back end processes that take place and realize your being handicapped and shortchanged at every turn. You will have to spend a 1 hour per week just making sure you are paid correctly on commission and SPIFF and it can take months to be compensated to a correct and full amount. You'll start to see the "side margin", "back-end bonuses" and "partner fees" that are gained from your time and sales that don't trickle down past Top 10%. Like 3/4 of the workforce you'll become jaded and frequently spend time during and after work commiserating with colleagues at local bars. There you'll probably see your managers drowning in self pity as well and over more beers learn all the dirty little secrets. You'll realize they are making just barely more than you and are probably either content with mediocrity or constantly looking for jobs. Now your on LinkedIn, using sick days to do interviews and searching desperately for something better. Despite all of this keep your numbers up do your best to hit Rev. And GM # Goals; your new employer will ask to see these if they're smart. Don't sell yourself short you've just completed a difficult 2 year initiation into Sales, go for no less than 50k + in base alone + commission. Someday 18-24 months or more later you'll sit at your company laptop eating lunch and Google Glassdoor Zones Inc. type a similar review in honor of your former Director who belittled you and always tried to disenfranchise you into believing you'd never find anything better than Zones. All the bad memories of meeting poorly constructed metrics, trying and rarely succeeding to hit goals that always seem just 1 step to far and getting leads that are no better than a yellow pages phone will book still haunt you like a pack of wolves. But! It makes you run faster, work harder and throw more coworkers under the bus to get ahead in this sales rat race. Morale of this story... Always have an escape plan and treat Zones like Days of our Lives meets The Office in a flooded Hard drive MFR plant in Thailand.

Advice to Management

You wouldn't take it then, why bother now

2. Don't let the other reviews fool you

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like to make money and like having fun doing so, this is the place to do it. The company is growing like crazy - and there is nothing better then being part of a winning team. Although you can make good money here, please be aware that you do need to put in the time first or have prior contacts that are willing to follow you. The company pays extremely well for the smartest people in all areas to be part of your the sales arsenal. These guys are at your disposal - put them in front of your customer and they do all the hard work for you. This job was one three offers I received out of college, and I know without a doubt I made the best choice. I wouldn't be surprised if I start and end my career here. They treat those, who they like, like royalty. There is no barrier on moving up in the company. If you want to move sideways they allow that too. I've seen people move all over the place / country with little to no hassle. We have the feel of a small company - we had a new hire sit next to the CEO on his second week of the job at dinner. Yet we have the impact of a company the size of (insert random analogy here about large size of company) Overall - I enjoy waking up in the morning to go to work. I enjoy the challenge. I enjoy the reward. I have nothing bad to say.

Cons

Can be very stressful. This is sales - this is what you signed up for / so quit your complaining. To be comfortable in this job means you're not making any money. Cover your tracks - if anything goes haywire they will expect you to own up it and will not hesitate to throw you under the bus. A lot of my Coworkers that are not doing as good tend to complain about this and that. Try not to associate yourself with those people. They will bring you down = management will not like you for this either.

Advice to Management

Nothing / Management is obviously doing something right to continuously pull the numbers that we do. A lot of people will say that they micromanage, but those are the people who need to be micromanaged.