There are newer employer reviews for Zoosk

Great environment at a company with potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of cross-pollination between different teams. Co-workers are usually open to new ideas and working together to solve problems. In my experience team leaders have been more than willing to invest time into developing the skills of younger employees, so working here has been a great opportunity to learn. Management seems to attract employees who are friendly and engaging so the atmosphere is pretty jovial, overall.

The company and the product itself are *truly* driven by big-data and should stay ahead of the curve as the industry and competition evolve. Most people here have faith in the products (website, apps, etc.) as well as the trajectory of the business as it continues to grow.

As with most tech companies, the benefits package is great. There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership. Some say that it's not as generous as other tech companies, but I personally don't feel the need to have Street Fighter II or Dance Dance Revolution in my office :)

Cons

The location -- on 6th and Market -- can be a bit off-putting. Things are getting better, though, as the tech industry presence increases (Spotify, Zendesk, Twitter, and others are all close by). The quality of local businesses and cleanliness of the neighborhood are consequently improving.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Zoosk (View Most Recent)

Amazing opportunities for growth in an environment, everyone cares about quality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Zoosk, especially in Engineering and UX, are some of the most dedicated and brilliant I have ever encountered. I used to often be the smartest person in the room at other workplaces, but that is rarely true at Zoosk. I've worked hard here, and my dedication has been noticed and rewarded. I try in turn to notice others' efforts and reward them generously.

Cons

The area is a bummer, to be perfectly honest. I get sick of eating at the mall. I also wish the User Ops team had a nicer office environment and that more effort had been put in to their floor.

The time will come when there will need to be more delegation, and it's probably best to do it sooner rather than later.

Lack of vision, poor management

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are generally nice and there are great perks like a subsidized gym membership and free dinner. The engineering team is dedicated and can be fun to work with. There are free dinners and they try and make the work environment fun, but it is extremely forced. They throw happy hours every Thursday but most of the socializing that goes on is a bit awkward. The pay is alright but you could get better opportunities elsewhere in the Bay Area doing more innovative, meaningful, and impactful work. The new offices are nicely decorated but its located in a rundown area of town. I have seen homeless people publicly defecate and urinate on my way to and leaving work which was quite unpleasant. There were a lot of learning opportunities early on when I joined but its no longer a startup even though they try and tell new employees that it is and try their best to make it seem like it is.

Cons

Its a gossipy environment which others have said before. It feels like high school even though all the employees are full grown adults. I have even seen Management engage in this banter which was disheartening. Management is extremely top down and it is the opposite of a flat 360 degree organization. Oftentimes I would offer my professional advice only to have my opinions shot down by management. If they wanted to hire me with my engineering and business expertise and never hear my advice and opinions, then why not hire a mindless employee without experience or credentials to begin with? Sometimes the CEOs (at one point there were 2...go figure) would come in and try to change code as it was being pushed out without notifying the rest of the team. This would perhaps be fine if they had great vision and could afford such tactics but there were several missteps including trying to create a romantic social network which was a big failure. Why make a new social network when Facebook is clearly the defacto choice by users worldwide? Also the company's business is not based on any true innovations in online dating. There were companies like Tinder who one-upped us with more innovative free services, and there seemed to be a general lack of interest in innovation and instead a focus on monetization and copying the competition. Although understandable from a financial and business perspective, why not offer both? With all the free online services on the market (and more every day), more established Internet dating companies, what is the rationale for customers to use Zoosk, and what is the long term potential for this company? Short term gains with no focus on long term growth. Don't become the next Zynga...

Focus on true long term innovation that benefits your customers without resorting to cheap business tactics and the growth will come. Listen to your employees; you hired them for their expertise in their chosen field - we aren't just robots working on whatever you tell us to do, especially for cheap monetization and gamification tactics.

There are newer employer reviews for Zoosk

Worked for Zoosk? Contribute to the Community!