Zoosk

www.zoosk.com
  www.zoosk.com
There are newer employer reviews for Zoosk

Great for engineers. Only engineers.

I worked at Zoosk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees, outside of the G&A "team", are good people. Benefits are good. Nice space.

Cons

If you're an engineer you have it made. If you're anything else, you get the scraps, including pay and bonuses. Engineers are separated on the 6th floor. The company also takes up the 5th and part of 4th floors. It definitely rolls downhill. The employees on the 4th floor are treated the worst and get all the hand-me-downs. Literally. Even the look of each floor changes from good to bad as you go from top to bottom.

Company is so focused on engineers it's a detriment to the rest, who are very expendable and know they are. It's no secret.

Hiring and firing practices are sketch. If you make the CFO/COO or HR manager mad at you (or one of their buddies), they'll find a way to get rid of you. Or they'll make your life so miserable you'll quit.

Don't let the ratings here fool you. They told employees to be sure to get in here and post great reviews.

Treat all employees like they're as golden at the engineers. Investigate the shady personnel practices - lots of gray areas there.

34 Other Employee Reviews for Zoosk (View Most Recent)

Cold heartedly fired.

Former Employee - Senior UI Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior UI Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people I liked.

Cons

Former title: Sr. UI Designer

So here's my honest review after being fired one day I walked into work on a Friday. It all started out great, generally positive reviews every week from my manager and I was told several times by her that I was doing a great job. Until that very day of course.

I thought it was really unprofessional how the whole thing went down actually, and I felt I was rushed out of there quickly. My manager got to say a couple words as to the reasoning I was being terminated and then the HR director quickly ended the conversation when I asked “why did you hire me” and told her she could go before there was really any further discussion. This is when it got weird, I couldn't even be escorted to grab my stuff from my desk, she made someone else in HR walk upstairs and grab my belongings for me like I was some untrusted 18 year old! And then when she brought me my stuff, she questioned where I got my mouse! Like I was stealing it! Ridiculous.

Generally, I felt it was a little odd that the founders were so involved in every little detail of staff decisions that went on there. Almost to a point of high-level micromanagement. Not a whole lot of trust going on there if you ask me. I guess I should of been scared like some of the people that worked there to make my own decisions, that is if I knew I was on the chopping block…

They sit in viewing distance of everyone in the open space, clearly as some leaders would. But the lack of communication between my manager and I and the CEO on my performance was really odd and confusing the day I was terminated. I was told that my “strength just didn't lie with product and the reasoning behind product design decisions.” The thing was, at the end of the day, I wasn’t making any product decisions, he was.

Very little attention was focused on UX design consistency with there products, and it was brought up by me and my team several times and ignored. In fact it was considered low priority. I find that alarming these days in tech…

I truly feel that I was unfairly blamed for some decrease in numbers that went down there. I wasn’t the one approving them to go out the door.

Some advice if your hired, don’t assume everything is going well while your there. You could be next.

Good luck Zoosk.

- A designer with over 15 years of experience

Don't lie to your employees or hide the truth, that was BS.

Top-tier engineering team

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Great place to do your best work. Company has a real interest in engineering correct solutions, but also balances getting the job done. Great work-life balance.

Cons

Decision-makiing is concentrated at the very top. Not a place where you can slack off, this company let's go of people quickly who can't cut it.

Trust your best people to make the best decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for Zoosk