Zuora

www.zuora.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Zuora

If you work hard, the payoff is there.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working at Zuora for a short amount of time, and so far so good! I am very pleased with my decision to work here.

I have never been at a company where the earning potential was so high and achievable. Obviously that doesn't come without hard work and dedication. If you are willing to bust your butt, put in the hours, and be open to being coached be senior management, then the sky is the limit here. Zuora's marketing and ZBR department does a great job keeping the inbound leads coming, but you also have to prospect on your own. Frankly, this is the first job that I ever have had any inbound leads come my way, so to me that is all icing on the cake. The bottom line is, and there is no escaping this, you don't make a ton of dough without a ton of hours of work, period. And if you are looking for a 9-5 and expect to make 6 figures, then you are delusional.

--Great Product, love the team, everyone works hard and plays hard...the company is truly at the head of a worldwide movement in business with companies moving towards the subscription model, and to me, that is exciting.

The other thing I really value about working at Zuora, is that you get access to incredibly smart people, E-staff, management, etc....You don't get that level of access working for a Fortune 500.

The tools are there for you to be successful, you just have to grab things by the horns and run with it!

Cons

--The keg runs out often

Things are coming along. Marc Diouane was a great addition to the team. There are some growing pains, but that's what one would expect in a growing company.
Continue to build people up and use positive reinforcement--the small compliments go a long way! :)

95 Other Employee Reviews for Zuora (View Most Recent)

90 -100% AE Turnover within a year, Combative management

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

Fairly transparent organization.
    Some very capable and smart folks in every department, all levels
    Competitive comp (BUT, maximizing your variable is another story)
    Communication is open and one is encouraged to work cross functionally.
    The sales team is in fact highly regarded within the organization and Zuora is known to groom strong sales talent.
    Sales has access to resources and there is a team selling environment
    You will be treated like you’re in a frat. Take that as you wish.

Cons

Very difficult place to work and everyone knows it. The following will sound exaggerated and coming from a disgruntled employee but sadly, it's neither.

First off, all the recent 5 star reviews are written by
    a) those who have been here since Feb’14 who Mgmt asked to review because they don’t know any better or
    b) Senior management who are having trouble recruiting

The most tenured reps on the Enterprise/SMB/Mid-Market/SDR teams have been at Zuora for ~1 year...everyone else has left. This is NOT Hyperbole, do validate on LinkedIn! This has been the precedent at Zuora since it’s founding but it extends well beyond the sales team. Mgmt has been desperately trying to improve morale as some very senior folks have recently left abruptly.

The culture created by the execs is simply combative. If you don't engage, you will get trampled. Sales management is the biggest culprit and forecast calls are a medium for humiliation. Once again, not an exaggeration nor isolated to the low performers. Please ask a Zuora rep what these "meetings" are called.

Quota? forget about it. 10-20% of reps even get close to their number and if you're a new AE in a tier 3 territory, chances of hitting are incredibly slim.

Very little inbound lead activity = you will prospect a lot YET historical data says that 80% of your number has to come from inbound (which you won't get.) Vicious cycle.

Product, while can be a good fit for some companies, is far from being the next billion dollar IPO that management likes to hype. Number of customers has remained flat for years, customer churn is a major problem and a very small group of clients are used as references over and over.

Large SDR team is mislead, unmotivated and not much of a value add. Outbound accounts for a VERY small portion of business and less so comes from the sdr team. A lot of blind leading blind

No sense of work/life balance. Sr Sales mgmt works like machines and reps are expected to as well. You will be berated if you go against this

Senior sales leadership is just not pleasant to be around most of the time. Nepotism abound, and unless you’re one of the rare guys in a golden patch, your time will come.

What's career progression?

Execs:
    We have some very smart people but not very many "people" people making smart decisions. Understand that you've not figured out how to scale the sales team. Doing more of what you have been doing is obviously not going to work so a serious reevaluation is needed.

Discourage an aggressive, machismo culture. You will not get the true feedback explicitly so try to get a real ear to the ground because without change, you'll be hiring a brand new sales team of 25-30 reps again next year.

Sales VPs/ Directors:
    Treat your reps like adults. Sounds silly but you don’t actually do that today. We’re your real asset so treat us like one.

Oh and a popcorn machine during march madness alone isn't going to save morale.

Candidates:
    Take EVERYTHING they say during the recruiting process with a huge grain of salt. I highly encourage any potential candidate to back channel on LinkedIn because you will get a different story.

Engineering is broken

I worked at Zuora (less than a year)

Pros

Many of the teams outside the Engineering department seem to be doing well. The new facilities are comfortable. The people in the Engineering team in Foster City are very nice and friendly.

While there are many negative comments in here about work-life balance, I think this is not applicable to Engineering. That said, I think this is probably a great place to work if you aren't in the Engineering department.

Cons

You are probably reading this because you are considering working here. You are probably looking for any reason to dismiss these comments. Please don't. Look at all the comments that came from those in the engineering department and look at their ratings. You will see a trend.

The problems that others have brought up, even two years ago, about the engineering department are still here. The people who work here feel powerless to do anything about it. Don't let anyone explain away the old comments because they were said in an angry tone or because they are former employees. There is a reason those people were angry and it's still here. There is a pattern.

If you are a senior engineer, realize that they are currently hiring seniors but they don't allow them to fix anything. You may do well here if you like sustaining engineering and front-line support. You may do well here if you don't like to challenge the status-quo and are happy with working on an aging tech stack that has little to no internal documentation and isn't going to change any time soon. They hired the people who could fix this and most of those people have left, are in the process of doing so, or have given up hope. A junior engineer might do fine here, as long as you don't grow too fast or get curious about some other technology.

Also, what people have said about public humiliation is true. You need to have thick skin to work here.

I wouldn't say anything that people aren't already saying. Your offshore team is giving you a fast, cheap product. If you want quality you have to give up either fast or cheap. If you don't want quality, come clean and say it and stop trying to fool the people on the ground.

There are newer employer reviews for Zuora