If you work hard, the payoff is there.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Account Executive in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Zuora full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only been working at Zuora for a short amount of time, and so far so good! I am very pleased with my decision to work here.

I have never been at a company where the earning potential was so high and achievable. Obviously that doesn't come without hard work and dedication. If you are willing to bust your butt, put in the hours, and be open to being coached be senior management, then the sky is the limit here. Zuora's marketing and ZBR department does a great job keeping the inbound leads coming, but you also have to prospect on your own. Frankly, this is the first job that I ever have had any inbound leads come my way, so to me that is all icing on the cake. The bottom line is, and there is no escaping this, you don't make a ton of dough without a ton of hours of work, period. And if you are looking for a 9-5 and expect to make 6 figures, then you are delusional.

--Great Product, love the team, everyone works hard and plays hard...the company is truly at the head of a worldwide movement in business with companies moving towards the subscription model, and to me, that is exciting.

The other thing I really value about working at Zuora, is that you get access to incredibly smart people, E-staff, management, etc....You don't get that level of access working for a Fortune 500.

The tools are there for you to be successful, you just have to grab things by the horns and run with it!

Cons

--The keg runs out often

Things are coming along. Marc Diouane was a great addition to the team. There are some growing pains, but that's what one would expect in a growing company.
Continue to build people up and use positive reinforcement--the small compliments go a long way! :)

Other Reviews for Zuora

90 -100% AE Turnover within a year, Combative management

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

Fairly transparent organization.
    Some very capable and smart folks in every department, all levels
    Competitive comp (BUT, maximizing your variable is another story)
    Communication is open and one is encouraged to work cross functionally.
    The sales team is in fact highly regarded within the organization and Zuora is known to groom strong sales talent.
    Sales has access to resources and there is a team selling environment
    You will be treated like you’re in a frat. Take that as you wish.

Cons

Very difficult place to work and everyone knows it. The following will sound exaggerated and coming from a disgruntled employee but sadly, it's neither.

First off, all the recent 5 star reviews are written by
    a) those who have been here since Feb’14 who Mgmt asked to review because they don’t know any better or
    b) Senior management who are having trouble recruiting

The most tenured reps on the Enterprise/SMB/Mid-Market/SDR teams have been at Zuora for ~1 year...everyone else has left. This is NOT Hyperbole, do validate on LinkedIn! This has been the precedent at Zuora since it’s founding but it extends well beyond the sales team. Mgmt has been desperately trying to improve morale as some very senior folks have recently left abruptly.

The culture created by the execs is simply combative. If you don't engage, you will get trampled. Sales management is the biggest culprit and forecast calls are a medium for humiliation. Once again, not an exaggeration nor isolated to the low performers. Please ask a Zuora rep what these "meetings" are called.

Quota? forget about it. 10-20% of reps even get close to their number and if you're a new AE in a tier 3 territory, chances of hitting are incredibly slim.

Very little inbound lead activity = you will prospect a lot YET historical data says that 80% of your number has to come from inbound (which you won't get.) Vicious cycle.

Product, while can be a good fit for some companies, is far from being the next billion dollar IPO that management likes to hype. Number of customers has remained flat for years, customer churn is a major problem and a very small group of clients are used as references over and over.

Large SDR team is mislead, unmotivated and not much of a value add. Outbound accounts for a VERY small portion of business and less so comes from the sdr team. A lot of blind leading blind

No sense of work/life balance. Sr Sales mgmt works like machines and reps are expected to as well. You will be berated if you go against this

Senior sales leadership is just not pleasant to be around most of the time. Nepotism abound, and unless you’re one of the rare guys in a golden patch, your time will come.

What's career progression?

Execs:
    We have some very smart people but not very many "people" people making smart decisions. Understand that you've not figured out how to scale the sales team. Doing more of what you have been doing is obviously not going to work so a serious reevaluation is needed.

Discourage an aggressive, machismo culture. You will not get the true feedback explicitly so try to get a real ear to the ground because without change, you'll be hiring a brand new sales team of 25-30 reps again next year.

Sales VPs/ Directors:
    Treat your reps like adults. Sounds silly but you don’t actually do that today. We’re your real asset so treat us like one.

Oh and a popcorn machine during march madness alone isn't going to save morale.

Candidates:
    Take EVERYTHING they say during the recruiting process with a huge grain of salt. I highly encourage any potential candidate to back channel on LinkedIn because you will get a different story.

Leader in the Space

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Zuora full-time

Pros

This company is not going to be just another Silicon Valley start up. It is disruptive, and grabbing more and more market share every quarter. At these high growth companies, there are plenty of opportunities to do great things.

Cons

The hours can be long, the team is intense. You need to be aware of this if you are seeking a 9-5 job.

Keep pushing to find ways for your team to be successful (at Zuora and beyond).

There are newer employer reviews for Zuora.

Worked for Zuora? Contribute to the Community!