There are newer employer reviews for Zynga

Classic plump and dump startup

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Largest social games network in the world

Chance to become rich off stock (VP and C-staff only, not so much if you are an individual contributor)

Big new building, very nice

Free food ( however the quality had steadily gone down, but hey its free)

Cons

Zero processes for game design, engineering, creative, project management.

Being told by my manager that if i am not at home sleeping, then i am here working. That is how i was welcomed to the team.

Worst HR department i have ever witnessed. It was heartbreaking how much employees suffer due inability of this unprofessional group to do their job. HR one focus seems to be giving perks, bonuses and quarterly awards to themselves. When employees complained HR un-friended us in the lower pay grades, so as not to be to conspicuous.

Operations really is a danger to this companies future growth. inept and callous, obviously more concerned about IPO , being the face of Zynga's humanitarian efforts and quarterly videos than being a real leader.

All the ex Electronic Arts VPs. These are the very same people who ran EA into the ground 5 years ago. Now they have brought their same lack of initiatives to Zynga and it shows.

survey the whole company about the areas that need to be addressed( HR, Operations, etc), assign these issues to your exec. team and hold them accountable to make measurable improvements on a quarterly bases. if they fail get rid of them.

Survey studios individually and hold the GM accountable above and beyond DAU and Rev.

348 Other Employee Reviews for Zynga (View Most Recent)

I was treated very bad, my Manager was not supportive and only looked out for himself.

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Free Lunch, and Dinner, gym membership, Stock, (if you were there from the begining) otherwise, forget it, you missed the boat!

Cons

Poor Leaders, very fast pace, no life outside of Zynga. Work many hours for nothing in return. Everyone is miserable there and just waiting to get rich. Its a total joke!
    Everyone is working to throw everyone under the bus! Its the strangest place I have ever worked. A bunch of psycos!

Get off your high-horse! Your not better than everyone else. Take a chill pill and allow people to do their job.

The worst development environment of all time

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

free food (every where)
    Good personal hardware (computers, phones, etc)

Cons

Everything else, so where do I start.
    1. At no time are the actual skills and experience of an engineer actually taken into account. This means that if you specialize in A and have some knowledge of B, and have never looked at C, you will probably be given a large job on C with a schedule that was created by some who not only understands C but how C fits into the overall giant system them have created.

I was never told what the job was going to actually entail. I went in with a certain experienced skill-set and found that I use very little if any of it. The larger systems are built, so most of the work is adding things to the current pile (stack is too nice a word). This pile is organized to an extent, but almost completely undocumented so you must constantly research how things were done in the past as to not re-invent the wheel.

There are a lot "dead-ends" in to code.

2. It's "seat of your pants" development and learning at the same time and is not for the feint of heart.

3, "Getting up to Speed" on the current game systems will take months combined with trying to do projects at "Zynga Speed"

4. 12-14 hour days are the norm.

5. Unlimited Vacation is scarce and usually given easily to long term employees but begrudgingly to new developers. Managers, producers, and PMs seem to take a lot of vacations though.

6.. Burn-out until you drop development cycle that never ends. No planned down time, just a constant churn.

7, Development environment and tools that only work 50% of the time, so you have to add an extra 50% to all schedules to compensate. No one in project management cares to do so though.

8. Engineers are given very little control over what they will work on and even less input into anything that might be considered creative game design

I could go on, but why. If you are under 25, have no kids, love the smell of dog and want to get fat eating all kinds of free food, by all means , apply. It will be the extension of the dorm-living that you will need right after college. Professionals who want to complete an entire design/develop/iterate/deploy/and document cycle will find the going is tough.

Management is going great $$ wise, but it would be best to slow down at some point and re-assess what is happening in some of the engineering departments.

There are newer employer reviews for Zynga

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!