Sky's the limit opportunity, fast-paced and fun of a start-up, scale of a global brand & business

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Opportunity to affect culture, and your friends & family every day.
The scale we build for is incredible. Where else do 50 M people play every day on what you build?
Responsibility & accountability is everywhere - if you want it, you can have it.
Opportunity to build on a world stage and do things that haven't been done before - every day.
Insanely awesome perks - gym, incredible food, dogs everywhere, mobile culture, happy hours, quarterly meetings.
Plenty of access to top management.
You're not building your resume - you just want to be a part of something unique and meaningful.
You like solving problems and doing something that's never been done before.
You're comfortable defining and disrupting industries not walking in other brand's footsteps.
You like to move fast and see results quickly.

Cons

Start-ups are for people that like accountability and responsibility.
We have a high bar, a lot is expected of people at every level - you have to be comfortable with working hard and showing results often.
Zynga moves really really fast. We have to stay ahead of what consumers want and where the market is going, we don't have time to do something next week or next month.
Because we're doing something different, hours aren't always predictable.
Prioritization can be tough - you can't get to everything so you have to chop out what doesn't matter.
People need to see what something was a good idea, be ready to show metrics-driven results after you accomplish something.
This is not a laid back, in-house job.

Other Reviews for Zynga

The Smartest People You'll Ever Work With

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Literally everyone you work with is a rock star - across all teams, game studios, marketing, legal, finance, ad sales, etc., you're working with people who have amazing experience and an understanding of the game, tech and software landscapes.

We're in a nascent industry that will change the way people play on the web. Mark and the execs are serious about their mission of connecting the world through play. Yes we're a business, and maintaining profitability is important, but we also all understand that we're in the first inning within the industry. The opportunity to build the way people connect and play on the web is pretty amazing.

There's a lot of accountability and responsibility placed on individuals. I suppose if you're not the kind of person that wants to take on projects and push to make them happen, then this could be a con. I see this as a pro, people give you room to work.

Great benefits - you see this a lot, but healthcare is free for employees, cheap for family members, and the coverage is fantastic. Dental, Gym membership/gym at the office, take your dog to work. Free meals.

Cons

Work Life Balance - teams crunch around new launches and initiatives, and because we're a service company, we've have more crunch time. Some teams are overworked, but there's also a concerted effort to put in support systems to change that. We'll see how that progresses.

Need a better Roadmap. Related to work/life balance in some ways. When we see an opportunity, we jump on it and move quickly. It's one of the reason's we've been so successful. but that also means that people have to drop projects and move to other things, and that can be tough. It would be nice to find a way to maintain product flexibility, but not do it at the cost of weird cycles and churn.

Need a better understanding of career advancement and management tracks - there are favorites at the company, and real superstars, but it's not always clear on what you need to do to rise to the top.

Now is a critical moment, as the company is public and looking to build value for the long term. The talent and the product development is there, now it's just a matter of figuring out the most efficient systems to give feedback, road map, and help people grow their careers at Zynga.

Awesome and lively place to work, incredible and open people, and kickass benefits perks!

Current Employee - Senior Artist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

The benefits and the amenities are great... The company definitely knows how to compensate their employees individually - especially if he/she performs well and expresses his/her concerns if they feel any. Bottling them up and letting them fester isn't going to help the employee or management in the long run.

Cons

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working here... but yes, it is extremely competitive. There is pressure to deliver, but that's true at any large company. With that said, it is very classic startup in that work-life is seriously out of balance. Having been an artist at both a small company and a large company (Electronic Arts) prior to coming to Zynga, I'm used to high pressure and tight deadlines. That's not going to change in a highly competitive industry in the business of keeping the masses (with quickly diminishing attention spans) entertained. Although work-life balance is seriously out of whack, I prefer to err on the side of optimism that things will/can change rather than complain about it.

I feel that the larger the company, the more difficult it is to get our ideas across and approved because of all the red tape our ideas have to clear. I acknowledge that Zynga has a great knack for metrics and seeing what's marketable/profitable, but the users aren't merely numbers nor are the employees who generate the games... give us just a bit more credit.

Focus less on data and metrics and think more about giving more weight to the ingenuities and creativity of the people that work for you and the people you make games for. It's great that we're given a platform to express the ideas we're excited about, but what's the point when no one from higher up really listens or cares?

There are newer employer reviews for Zynga.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!