Zynga

www.zynga.com
  www.zynga.com
There are newer employer reviews for Zynga

Much better than what the press says about it - This is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Zynga you are next to really smart people doing everything at grand scale. Perks are awesome.

Cons

Big company, so not really a startup culture anymore.

Make the company vision trickle down further down the chain. Whatever you say at the company quarterlies gets completely lost and ignored 4+ levels down from Pincus.

363 Other Employee Reviews for Zynga (View Most Recent)

Too many undelivered promises

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food
    Smart people

I was working on one of the "ville" games and I thought it was going to be a lot more interesting given how many millions of users we had.

Cons

Zero passion about the games
    Grueling hours - my manager made me cancel a family vacation once
    Very narrow scope and responsibilities
    Hug team size plummeting stock price - I was told by the recruiter that we should expect $100 stock price a year after IPO. There should be a law against this.

Remove Mark as CEO and put someone in his place that actually cares about the products they make.
    Smaller teams and more achievable deadlines.

Lots of opportunity to hone politicking skills

Former Employee - Lead Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Huge potential for career growth with the proper networking and connections
    Meritocracy still in place for ENTRY LEVEL positions
    Free food everywhere
    Dynamic work environment for Content Producers

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible. Average work weeks = 60-70 hours, more for "crunch" times
    Constant "code red" state for declining game studios
    Focus on quarterly goals promotes poor short-term product/engineering decisions
    Major "pivots" to company/departmental strategy make planning and reliable delivery impossible
    Poor bonuses to "support" departments (infrastructure and tech teams are the worst)
    Constant reorganizations exhaust employees (4 in a year for the team I was in)
    Myopic product focus = huge tech debt
    Waterfall SDLC (morning scrum does not make you Agile)
    Too many high-performing individual contributors elevated to managers w/out training and mentoring
    Impossibly Byzantine departments make it impossible to tackle large tech problems without involving 15 departments

If you are mid-level in your career, go somewhere else. You likely have a family, who you will feel guilty about neglecting. The pay will be okay, but the perks (free shirts, videogames everywhere, food, etc.) are for kids straight out of college. I'd rather pack a lunch and buy my own clothes - and I don't need videogames anywhere. Prepare for the office politics, which were easily the worst I've ever seen. Take direction well, be an excel wizard (product managers), and you should be fine.

Pick a course and stick to it. Stop the 2nd class citizen structure (game studio v. not), OR stop pretending that Zynga is an egalitarian workplace. Consider the tradeoff between constant content churn and long-term tech benefits.

There are newer employer reviews for Zynga