Zynga
www.zynga.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Lots of opportunity to hone politicking skills

Lead Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHuge potential for career growth with the proper networking and connections
Meritocracy still in place for ENTRY LEVEL positions
Free food everywhere
Dynamic work environment for Content Producers

ConsWork-life balance is terrible. Average work weeks = 60-70 hours, more for "crunch" times
Constant "code red" state for declining game studios
Focus on quarterly goals promotes poor short-term product/engineering decisions
Major "pivots" to company/departmental strategy make planning and reliable delivery impossible
Poor bonuses to "support" departments (infrastructure and tech teams are the worst)
Constant reorganizations exhaust employees (4 in a year for the team I was in)
Myopic product focus = huge tech debt
Waterfall SDLC (morning scrum does not make you Agile)
Too many high-performing individual contributors elevated to managers w/out training and mentoring
Impossibly Byzantine departments make it impossible to tackle large tech problems without involving 15 departments

If you are mid-level in your career, go somewhere else. You likely have a family, who you will feel guilty about neglecting. The pay will be okay, but the perks (free shirts, videogames everywhere, food, etc.) are for kids straight out of college. I'd rather pack a lunch and buy my own clothes - and I don't need videogames anywhere. Prepare for the office politics, which were easily the worst I've ever seen. Take direction well, be an excel wizard (product managers), and you should be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a course and stick to it. Stop the 2nd class citizen structure (game studio v. not), OR stop pretending that Zynga is an egalitarian workplace. Consider the tradeoff between constant content churn and long-term tech benefits.

If you work for Zynga, you have already peaked

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good salary, free food, great location Cons: Low level of responsibility, severe micromanagement No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

I love working here

Producer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros: Perks and benefits - Gym, free meals, weekly happy hours, on-site haircuts, massages, bonuses, etc. Kick-ass culture - Not sure why this place is getting so… Cons: Minimal cons. 1st world problems only (e.g. 3rd floor toaster often times burns my bagels). I suppose the only knack is that this is… Advice to Senior Management: It'd be great if employees could have dedicated time within the week and/or month to get more involved with entrepreneurial activities for Zynga (new games,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Zynga.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All reviews posted anonymously by Zynga employees.