Nice Perks and Benefits, Poor Morale, Meritocracy is Dead

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

Good pay, great health/vision/dental plan, 401K, ESPP, free gourmet food and buffet and organic snacks, free coffee/gourmet drinks/soda/juices, they rent out several high quality food trucks after every quarterly meeting and it's all you can eat, free gym and classes, unlimited PTO.

Cons

I used to believe in their "meritocracy" when I first came on. I was a huge advocate of Zynga for the first year and a half. But recently we've faced major cutbacks, layoffs and restructuring, and found the company will no longer be giving bonuses for the next year and a half. I worked extremely hard but Zynga doesn't recognize hard work; their awards ceremony works like a high school rally in that it's a huge popularity contest. And the higher ups will continue to take credit for the grunts' hard work, no matter how much of an influence you make. Good ideas are shot down if it isn't a tried and true game that makes millions on the market; they speak of innovation year after year but it is still all about fast following for the money. Morale is sinking lower and lower, only the ones who are gung-ho about Zynga Spirit or those that make the most cash for the company (despite lack of innovation) will get that $100,000 stock reward, or $5000 cash plus a 4-day trip to any place in the world, or get to borrow the company Tesla.

Advice to Management

Give some of the employees you stepped on some recognition with a bonus or at least a verbal mention; we all know you can spare a little if you're spending all this money on other things.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Life as an Artist at Zynga.

Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free meals: Friday Breakfast, Lunch (M-F), and Dinner (M-Thurs). Free Snacks: snack area, snack room, snack lounge; candy, trail mix, nori, gluten free gummies, cereal, chips, cookies, did I say candy?, CANDY. Free beverages: soft drinks, tea (cold/hot), coffee (Starbucks dispenser). Onsite Arcade, and Gym. Massage Therapy. Acupuncture. Full medical, dental, and vision coverage. Equity offer. Competitive hourly/salary .

Cons

Long hours. Often belittled by management. Useful commentary is often ignored, or deferred. When sh_t hits the fan, the solution is to throw more people at the problem, and spend more hours onsite. Weekend work is expected. The moment you say you can't be in on the weekends, you are instantly on the sh_t list. Favoritism is just your everyday thing. Disorganized. Management would prefer to layoff, or put people on performance improvement plans, rather than find the root of the problem, and solve it.

Advice to Management

When you have a team member who is capable of wearing many hats, and you hand him off to an Art Director who only wears one hat, don't get rid of the guy who wears many hats, just because the Art Director doesn't know what to do with him. The proper solution would've been to move the jack of all trades to a team that could've better utilized their talents, shifted them to a role they feel comfortable sticking to, or train the Art Director up on his animation skill. Get your sh_t straight, Zynga.

2. I learned a lot, but lots of flaws.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot Good pay (at least for engineers) You *might* work on a hit game

Cons

You might *not* work on a hit game, in which case your time there will get more and more miserable, regardless of how good you are at your job. Work / Life balance is not very good. The company is not very focused at the senior level. This might have to do with Pincus' famous scatterbrain, which I witnessed a couple of times. Maybe the new guy will help with this.

Advice to Management

Focus on what you do good. Remember that just because something isn't a massive hit, doesn't mean that you should fire everyone involved.