Zynga
www.zynga.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

No direction, broken practices, poor morale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Blue Bottle coffee and meals for free
- Working with creative people
- Choice of technology

Cons- The meritocracy is flawed between game teams. Two people doing the same position, with equal proficiency are awarded differently by how well the specific game does financially.
- Too many bosses. Often a person reports directly to their manager, but has "dotted line" managers, who often conflict with the other manager, providing tension to everyday operations.
- Long hours, exhaustion, some mandatory weekends that are arbitrarily chosen. For example, your game team may announce on a Monday that x amount of people have to work that coming weekend.
- Hard to have an outside life. With the long hours and short notice for overtime, it's hard to plan a life outside the company.
- The game teams do not communicate best practices with each other. A game will be made, the issues acknowledged and then a new group of people will make a similar game, without using the learnings from the last game.
- Different technologies used on different games, sometimes changed mid-project.
- After a game is launched, it goes into cadence. The detailed prep work to launch the game doesn't carry over into the life of the game.

Advice to Senior Management- Every manager should have to take manager training.
- Do post-mortems of every project and actually implement changes in new projects.
- Be honest with employees. Don't make inflated, broken promises.

Still a great place to learn.

Lead Product Manager (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: There are a lot of talented people still at zynga, and some of them (not the majority, mind you) will help you learn how to… Cons: Morale is in a bad place (but... Is almost certain to be in for an upswing with the… Advice to Senior Management: The green light process needs to work at least some of the time.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Nice Perks and Benefits, Poor Morale, Meritocracy is Dead

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros: Good pay, great health/vision/dental plan, 401K, ESPP, free gourmet food and buffet and organic snacks, free coffee/gourmet drinks/soda/juices, they rent out… Cons: I used to believe in their "meritocracy" when I first came on. I was a huge advocate of Zynga for the first year and a… Advice to Senior Management: Give some of the employees you stepped on some recognition with a bonus or at least a verbal… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Zynga.

Worked for Zynga? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Zynga reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Zynga CEO Don Mattrick. All reviews posted anonymously by Zynga employees.