There are newer employer reviews for Zynga

The Perks are Awesome; the Company is Meh....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* AWESOME perks - the Culinary Department is superb. There's an onsite gym, a good coffee bar (for caffeine addicts), and, obviously, the dogs * There are many good people at Zynga. * MY personal work-life balance is pretty good, BUT this is HIGHLY dependent on WHICH team you work on. Many game teams are working LONG hours, including weekends, whereas non-game teams are putting in the necessary 40 hour / week.

Cons

* The so-called Zynga speed? It's mostly hurry up & wait, especially on the back-end of Zynga's infrastructure & platform groups. (For game studios, it's break-neck speed). * We shifted direction too many times, and since we have priorities only for a given quarter (which is what your bonuses are based upon), making GOOD long term decisions for the company is not the priority. Projects that were a priority one quarter are dropped in the next; making your work meaningless. * Too many cooks in the kitchen; many teams overlap in doing the SAME THING and don't trust that other groups will do a good job. A lot of developer time & cycles are wasted * The HR process of hiring people is a joke. It takes FOREVER to get anyone through the interview process (let alone hired), and you lose a lot of talent. They are more interested in putting on high-school pep rallies for people who have "leveled up" or are being recognized for their contribution. (Seriously, they had high school cheerleader outfits one quarter...) Make "People Resources" actually about helping the people at Zynga...and not the high school squad team.

Advice to Management

PICK a direction, stick with it, and give people a chance to do the RIGHT thing for Zynga instead of trying to meet objectives that change on the wind. Streamline the whole new IP process; make platform & game services ACTUAL working services that are easily integrated by a game studio instead of the monsters they are today.

Other Employee Reviews for Zynga

1. Overall a great place to work.

Current Employee - UI Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - UI Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zynga does provide good benefits and extras, and the teammates I have worked with have been great. The teams that I have worked with are solid and know their stuff. I rarely feel like I am asked to sacrifice my life outside of work for unnecessary overtime.

Cons

I think the upper management is sometimes a little disconnected from the industry standards. I also thin the idea of cost-of-living raises is sorely lacking.

this dog stinks

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Free lunch and dinner, free blue bottles coffee all day + no one there will help you set goals but yourself. if you like this kind of freedom, this place is for you.

Cons

- zero focus: change directions all the time because either management don't care or they don't know what's going on. clueless or just plain lazy. that's "Be your ceo" model. you make upper management left to do nothing but collecting paychecks. - HR dept is the most worthless , shameful dept i ever met. they build backbones around college grads. and only top game studios gets the bread. the rest of us gets the crumbs / weak hires. they failed to provide any real helps to make a dept successful. they suck, period. - Central QA is a joke. the whole dept is made of game testers and they were unqualified to force to test complex platforms. couldn't catch any critical bugs but central qa and their QA managers kept saying central qa is great for the studio. bs. look at how many bugs you couldn't find because you are not capable. and of course, it falls outside of the scope of qa coverage so it didn't count as misses. another bs. worthless team. should hire real QAs with computer science degrees. - PMs are jokes there. no freaking confidences on what they are producing. so they decide to run 10 to 20 different experiments to our customers for given releases.

Advice to Management

step up and take ownership.