There are newer employer reviews for alliantgroup, LP

Absolutely Awful. How are those "big a" 's for ya?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pays more because they know how awful it is to be there.
Has a young, laid back crowd.
Free food.

Cons

No professionalism by upper management.
Can't learn a thing from upper management because they're all too busy talking bad about their employees and gossiping.
Horrible training, direction, and support.
You won't get noticed unless you stay until after 9:00.
This company is seriously a joke. Everyone sleeps with each other, including upper management.
It might sound good when interviewing, but don't make the mistake. 70% of people quit within a year of working here. Save your time.

Advice to Management

Advice? They don't listen to anybody except themselves.

reviews filtered by

I am surprised the firm has survived for ten years.

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1) The Work - The work is actually interesting. You will spend a lot of your work day talking to your clients and learning about several different industries.
    2) Food - The firm provides free sodas, $5 for the building's cafeteria, and brings in food during tax season. Additionally, on special occasions, breakfast and afternoon treats will be provided as well. On the downside, eating healthy in the office is difficult.
    3) Co-workers - There was not a single associate I did not like on my team and there are definitely a lot of friendships I will maintain. While I do not regret leaving the firm, I do miss seeing my co-workers every day.
    4) Career Opportunity - Within approximately three months, you will be running your own studies, if not before then. You will get your first promotion in six months and your second a year after that.
    5) Social Activities - The firm provides several social activities for its employees including, free movie nights for the latest blockbusters, happy hours, team outings, and office parties.

Cons

1) Work hours - I had friends who worked at big law firms making three times as much as I did and worked less than I did. During the interview, the firm talked about work/life integration and spun it as the firm creates an environment where you, the associate, will enjoy being. This is utterly false. Employees are at work as much as they are because the firm expects so much that you are forced to abandon the rest of your life to try to meet their expectations. During tax season, I usually worked (either in the office or at home) until midnight plus weekends. The other six months of the year, I usually worked at the office until 8PM and always struggled to meet the firm's expectations.

2) Distractions - I never found the atmosphere in the office to be conducive for several reasons. First, there are too many people Several employees will ask you the same question about the same client every day. Decorum usually breaks down around 4PM The firm expects you to respond to every email and phone call within 5 minutes. (In comparison, most time management tips will tell you it is more efficient to check your email only a few times a day to minimize distractions and increase productivity).

Additionally, But nothing the firm condones minimizes distractions. People will ask you the same question five times every day and office decorum usually breaks down around 4PM, which makes it even more difficult to get any work done. So basically, you try to meet every deadline after shooting yourself in both hands and feet. Oh, and if you try to wear headphones to drown out of distractions in the office, you will be seen as not being 100% in.

3) Constantly changing procedures - In an effort to deal with the high employee turnover, the firm is constantly changing procedures to improve the transition of an unfinished study from the employee who just left the firm to the new employee. The procedures do nothing to address the real problem, high employee turnover, and only create new work for the current employees, which results in higher employee turnover. Plus, procedures are announced before they are finalized and live dates are never announced. If employees don't check every day to make sure a new form hasn't been released, you will undoubtedly caught off guard some 23 days later when the form is finally on the server and is now required. Additionally, management will arbitrarily enforce procedures that had not been required for sometime. And when you are puzzled by the new procedure management will not say "this is something we have let slide for some time, but is now something we are cracking down on," but "This has always been the procedure. I don't know what you are talking about when you say you came into my office yesterday and things were different."

4) The firm thinks it is amazing - The company does not believe it is doing anything wrong. If you cannot meet a deadline because you have too much work, it's your fault for not being more efficient with your time. If an associate quits, it's because a) he/she has health problems that requires a leave of absence, b) other employees scared the employee away, or c) he/she cannot take ownership of his/her own career and wants an environment they can just sit around. If the company was so amazing, they wouldn't have coerce current employees into writing favorable reviews for this website. In the past six months, they have pushed out some amazing senior associates and associate directors because they were no longer 100% committed to the firm. Everyone gets burnt out after working as much as the firm expects and the firm's response isn't to thank it's employees but to push them out when they begin to stumble. One caveat, the firm LOVES competition and will hold competitions that will reward the top 1% for being the best and push the other 99% of the firm to the breaking point or out the door.

6) Billing - During my interview, I was told 99% of the firm makes its billing goal. Based on my experience this is not true. I made my monthly billable goal four times and never made

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed the work we did, but the firm made it impossible for me to work there. You really need to start caring about employee retention. Listen to your employees and address their concerns. If what was said during the meetings is true, last year the firm hired 300 people, which works out to 300 people leaving the firm as well. Every employee who leaves is a bridge you are burnt. After my third month, I stopped referring friends to the firm. By the sixth, I was afraid to tell strangers who I worked for because they inevitably repeated said negative things about the company they heard from friends.

Unprofessional in an unhealthy work environment!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-During the tax season, they'll bring in good food from good restaurants for dinner and sometimes lunch
    - $5 lunch daily
    - Garage parking
    - free soda vending machines
    - fun parties (halloween costume party, christmas pod decorating party, etc)

Cons

- Management take advantage of the fact that they are higher up than you. They treat you like crap.
    - So much overtime hours. If you leave before 6:30pm, you'll get questioned as to why you "left so early" when your scheduled hours are until 6pm.
    - They'll rarely notice your work - unless you're a favorite.
    - Everyone WILL talk crap about you and those words will fly around QUICK
    - They'll hire anyone. I've met people who have a degree in Chemistry, Psychology, Art, etc and their job has NOTHING to do with what they got their degree on.

Advice to Management

I shouldn't be afraid of my supervisor. My supervisor is the one I am supposed to look up to and ask for help if I need help. Also, encourage your employees to do more instead of making them feel like they'll never be good enough for you. Help them with the things you want them to get done. Also, help your temps to become perms. If there's something you disslike about them, let them know so they can improve on it and become a perm within the company. Don't let them just hang there as a temp for more than their 90 days probation. If they've been with the company for more than 90 days, why not make them permanent? If you didn't like them, let them go before the 90 days is over.

There are newer employer reviews for alliantgroup, LP