There are newer employer reviews for alliantgroup, LP

The most abusive, unhealthy environment I have ever experienced in a workplace.

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met some really great people that I remain friends with, and for that I’m thankful. However, I have never felt so belittled, bullied, and beleaguered as I did when I worked at Alliantgroup. Yeah, that was alliteration. I went there. Heads up, every single one of the 5 Star Reviews you’ll read here is from somebody who got an internal award or promotion at Alliantgroup. They are required to write one upon receiving such an accolade. As for the negative reviews, they are all true. I did not believe them when I took the job, figuring those particular people just had a bad experience personally. Upon accepting the position I quickly realized these negative experiences are across the board. Every single person (including the very higher-ups causing the issues) is miserable, and most are actively looking for another job. The amount of turnover is unheard of. Do. Not. Take. A. Job. Here. If you do, to quote Arrested Development, you will have made a “huge mistake”.

Cons

This company was sold to me as a “young professional, work hard/play hard, Google-type” environment. So, perhaps naively, I assumed the company would actually live up to the expectations it set during the interviews. I came in expecting to work my butt off yet be rewarded or at least mildly appreciated for it. This assumption was so far from the truth I’m surprised the interviewers weren’t snickering as they lied straight to my face. I thought I had seen everything that could be wrong about a workplace prior to taking this job. From the illegal billing practices to next-level insane micromanagement, my experience at Alliantgroup taught me new and improved ways to foster an abusive environment and run a company completely into the ground. For those considering taking at job at Alliantgroup, allow me to educate you: 1. How to succeed at Alliantgroup. This company consistently pushes away its top performers in favor of employees who will put more effort into cheerleading than doing their jobs. I have certainly worked at companies where the employees who drank the kool-aid also consistently worked the hardest out of anybody. There’s nothing wrong with towing the party line because you want to do a great job. The problem is when the company does not care about the “great job” and rewards only those blindly touting its supposed merits. The focus at Alliantgroup is not doing good work. Nor is it doing mediocre work, nor is it working at all. You will get in trouble for leaving on time, even if your work is done. Prepare to be interrogated about every single detail of your day--by more than one person. Please note that nobody cares if you are actually working, the higher ups are only concerned with the amount of (billable) hours you take while maintaining the illusion of working. Even if you’re looking at Pinterest until 10pm, wasting the company’s time and the client’s money is a job well done at Alliantgroup. Which brings us to… 2. Meetings. You will have one nearly every day, and the topics on the agenda will never get covered. Rather, your department will be expected to trap itself in a conference room for 3 hours in order for the managing director to get his kicks by publicly calling out specific people for imagined lack of performance. When an executive has no concrete issue for which to bully you, he or she will either take a personal jab or manufacture a situation in which you are pushed to react and then belittle you for taking things too seriously. God forbid if you have a legitimate question to ask, you will be called an idiot for not already knowing the answer. Shame on you for trying to learn. This is textbook manipulation, by the way, and the amount of it across all levels and job titles is unbelievable. It is worse than a 5th grade playground. I witnessed on several occasions the head of our department outright lying to members of project teams in order to pit them against each other. To what end?? I have yet to figure out the purpose or usefulness of such tactics. It certainly did not serve to foster team building or even promote productivity. In fact, the sheer amount of time required to serve face was an active deterrent to efficiency as well as morale. I should have run when, on my first day, we were stuck in one such meeting until 10:30pm and an executive took the entire evening to yell at one person and force her to defend herself. Even as a new employee, I couldn’t figure out what she had done wrong, just that she was in the hot seat for whatever reason the capricious executive had decided to pick that day. 3. Micromanagement. You would assume that a company, upon hiring a person to do a job, would expect that person to do that job. At Alliantgroup, you would be wrong. If you choose to work there, you will be regularly interrogated about the basic tasks you accomplish throughout the day by multiple levels of management. Apparently it’s crucial to the inner workings of the entire company that these overseers know the detailed minutiae of even the most mundane to-do items. The management does not believe its employees to be “capable” (direct quote) of handling their work. Thus, the peons must be micromanaged. Expect angry emails at 2am demanding to know the status of a project, no matter that it can be easily found on the company-wide server or even--crazy idea--dealt with during work hours. Expect to send a spreadsheet detailing every single thing you’ve accomplished for the day within an inch of how many bathroom breaks you’ve taken to an executive who receives over 200 such emails and has no intentions of ever reading it. This meaningless process will take you over an hour. Which, of course, also means extra time to bill to each of the applicable clients. Management has zero interest in maximizing the efficiency of this practice, by the way. Any attempt to streamline the process into even a weekly status report rather than daily is an undertaking rivaling that of Sisyphus. Bonus Takeaways: If you try to maximize the efficiency of anything at Alliantgroup, go ahead and pack up your desk because you will be let go. If you try to request time off, pack up your desk because you will be let go. If you spend more time working than trying to get an invite to paintball with your boss, you will be accused of “not trying hard enough to build a relationship” with him regardless of your attempts to get on his calendar in order to touch base, so you better pack up your desk because you will be let go. If you play the game well, do your job, and tow the party line, the company will still be losing money to its ill-advised investment into the new building and multiple major lawsuits, so pack up your desk because you will be let go. Alliantgroup is and always will be a lose-lose situation. My only regret is not eating more of the mediocre free food (Café Express!) while I had the chance.

Advice to Management

The level of incompetence at Alliantgroup is astounding. Read an actual book (they even come in digital form now) on managing people. You couldn’t handle a pet rock, much less a team of capable professionals. You clearly think you can stay afloat on a consistently revolving door of recent college grads, but eventually that tactic will drain your resources. Enjoy your mandatory “raves”, the money will not last forever.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. You get what you pay for...

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

This is a true meritocracy. I have never been at a more competitive company and I do not think one exists. I have measurable goals and realistic expectations here and it is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

This is not a "nine to five" place. Plus, you will work with a bunch of "know it all" grammarians, workaholics, and perfectionists...

Advice to Management

Management needs to filter potential hires better. I have been a part of new/growing companies prior to alliantgroup... the message from day one was "remove 'this is not my job' from your vocabulary". alliantgroup does not make this point clear enough for new folks. My advice to the alliantgroup decision makers, use the following: "The alliantgroup experience is easy - work hard, reap rewards. If you start to coast, you will get left behind. If you want a true meritocracy, come see us. If you think your credentials are a skeleton key to success, move along. We judge you on real, measurable performance metrics."

Rewarded for rewarding work.

Current Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a challenging, fast-paced, highly rewarding environment. I get the opportunity to find America's small and mid-sized businesses much needed tax refunds for them and, boy, are they grateful. I have had heard business after business tell me: "Thank you. We are really grateful for alliantgroup's effort because it allowed us hire additional employees or buy a new piece of equipment that is essential to our company's continues growth and success" And, it feels really good to hear how grateful these companies are. There aren't many companies out there that serve the heartbeat of the American economy, its small and mid-sized businesses; but alliantgroup is one that does so admirably. It is incredibly rewarding work. While working here I found that my effort has never gone without being rewarded by alliantgroup. It is a true meritocracy! I have shown the aptitude and ability to excel at this company and I keep getting rewarded in different ways - raises, performance-based bonuses, discretionary bonuses, all-expense paid trips, gift certificates, and other perks. This is the only company I have worked for that truly appreciate and cares for its employees. they cater food daily for lunch, provide health and dental care to all of its employees, and has hired a Director of Health and Wellness to educate its employees on fitness and nutrition, put on optional fitness classes, coordinate running/walking groups, etc.. I couldn't be happier!

Cons

The continued construction in our new building can be distracting.

Advice to Management

Please continue to take care of and reward your employees.