athenahealth

www.athenahealth.com

Growing too fast for their own good

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Watertown, MA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Watertown, MA

Pros

CEO is passionate. The company is a top recognized leader in the industry and the occassional work outtings can be fun.

Cons

it used to be a fun and exciting place to work with a vision of becoming the Google or Amazon of healthcare, but the company has lost it's original vision and is now becoming your typical corporate job that pays the mortgage

Cut out the bureaucratic crap that has been growing within the last 6 months. Refocus on what makes a company run (meaning happy/satisifed employees) and the C-Suite should stop worrying about stupid things such as "tooth picks in the sandwiches", and I literally mean one of our executive leaders complaining about tooth picks in sandwiches.

Other reviews for athenahealth

Great company, poor sales commission structure

Current Employee - Sales  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Watertown, MA

Pros

Great company, great products, leader in the industry making it easier to drink the athenahealth coolade as they like to hear..

Cons

Commission structure is challenging and disappointing with the fact that half your paid commission is based on another department getting your sale/client "live". The ability to work remote more often. Sales Dept. leadership is strongly against this, while other Depts. have this option available.

They do a good job supporting and leading.

Almost arrogant about the importance of client satisfaction in some departments?

Pros

If you're the right fit for the culture there, you will do well. Pay is competitive, and I worked with some extremely sharp people.

Cons

First time I really understood what "working harder, but not smarter" really meant. I saw Senior Managers struggling to have a work-life balance. You may get good people on board, but push them to leave by burning them out. Very dissatisfied with the service I was providing to my clients because it greatly mattered to me. That's why I work in healthcare. I also thought the CEO was very intelligent, but definitely not very professional in his leadership style for the type of business we were in. I believe business in my division will decline, but other divisions should do well.

The age of a "people" Manager isn't as important as their maturity level and people skills to do the job. If the Manager is so worried about their own job security that they have to "micro manage" their staff, then why hire intelligent and experienced people to work for you? An effective and "qualified" people manager wants people who have ideas to contribute and understands their objectives as an individual and a team. Sharp people won't stay in an environment where they feel their hands are tied to do their job and grow, and they're constantly worried about management support. Great people make great companies...not the other way around.

There are newer employer reviews for athenahealth.

Worked for athenahealth? Contribute to the Community!