There are newer employer reviews for bebe stores

Needs better Senior Management

Current Employee - Senior Systems Manager  in  Brisbane, CA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Manager in Brisbane, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stays ahead of the technology, fast paced.

Cons

Good place and pay but the company is struggling with Senior Management. Just a handful of Execs run the show. Mandatory PTO of 10 days and not enough benefits.

154 Other Employee Reviews for bebe stores (View Most Recent)

Part-time work that builds character

Former Employee - Sales Stylist  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Stylist in Austin, TX

I worked at bebe stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

My supervisor ended up becoming one of my best friends. We're still friends, 7 years later. At the time, the clothing was that of a higher quality and felt and looked amazing on. I took pride in styling, there.

Cons

You have to work on holidays, and hardly make money. Most of your check goes towards the clothing there that they highly encourage you to buy. No room for growth.

Uncertain future, but great culture

Current Employee - Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at bebe stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Truly very nice people and senior management. Admittedly, I can only speak for my department, as I've heard other departments can be more political. But from what I've personally seen, everyone has the best of intentions, is very friendly, and more focused on doing a good job at their work than any interpersonal politics.
    - Work/Life balance is excellent. (I know this will vary depending on who you talk to though. Yet, this has been my experience at almost every company I've worked for. Some pull way more than their fair share of the weight and work crazy hours, but those folks kind of do it to themselves by not delegating, not prioritizing, or not raising flags to management effectively.)
    - Still has a big enough name recognition that moving to other retail companies is doable.
    - Pay is competitive, particularly more senior roles. Entry-level pay isn't amazing, but seems in line with industry standard.
    - Relatively flexible hours. As long as you get your work done, there's no insane amount of pressure to clock in and out at 9am and 6pm on the dot. If you can work efficiently and be sure your team is covered, that's what's important.
    - Dress code is also quite flexible. Of course it's a fashion/retail company, so people try to look their best and be well groomed, but you aren't required to wear bebe product if it's not your style, and no one expects people to wear 4" heels.
    - (Some may find this one a Con, but I see it as a Pro) Very entrepreneurial atmosphere with a "roll up your sleeves" and "wear many hats" mentality. Fast paced and hands-on. Very flat organizational culture. If you choose to, you can really learn a lot and perform activities you wouldn't get to for years at other retail companies.

Cons

- The office location isn't ideal to walk anywhere for lunch (except Ralph's across the street, which can actually be a bit depressing since it's the only thing). Most bring or order delivery. (But there is a very nice outdoor seating area/patio.)
    - Many hardware/software/security protocols are cumbersome and ridiculous. Only 1 truly helpful service-oriented IT person in my experience. (Although, more senior people in IT are quite good - but they focus on business systems, not day-to-day service.)
    - Some who have been at the company for many, many years are a bit antiquated in their practices (and are happy to remain comfortably stagnate). Tons of reports and spreadsheets running around without any sense of true purpose.
    - Departments need to coordinate more and really come together to help the business. Most are focused on their own individual or department numbers rather than how they could work with other departments to really innovate systems and improve the brand, products, and bottom line.
    - Honestly, the biggest con to the company isn't actually in HR's control. It's the general performance of the business as a whole. bebe isn't doing too well, as evidenced by the CEO's recent departure and slipping sales. There was a huge infusion of optimism when he first came in January 2013, and he hired some really terrific people that made the work environment and camaraderie much better than it ever had been in the past. Unfortunately, in the past few months (and especially in the past few weeks since he stepped down), it's hard to remain optimistic that the business is going to bounce back substantially. For this reason, job security doesn't really feel like it's there as it used to.

- Make your departments look at the bigger picture and work collaboratively with other departments to help increase the business. Reiterate that it's not just your job on the line, it's everyone's. One category's or department's slightly increased performance is not going to equate to true success of the brand.
    - Scrutinize those who have been there for a long time and weed out processes that serve no purpose or are just plain wrong/inappropriate for the current state of affairs. Sometimes, it's not about tenure, it's about innovation - particularly when a business isn't performing that well.

There are newer employer reviews for bebe stores

Worked for bebe stores? Contribute to the Community!