blinkx
www.blinkx.com San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Relatively fun job, but bad management.

Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

ProsInterviews that are easy to ace. Makes it an easy tech job to get as a recent college graduate.

Blinkx is a company that boasts "new cool technologies" so it's easier to advance your career after you leave the place. You also learn a good mix of new tools and technologies while you are there.

Most co-workers are the young and hip crowd so they are fun to hang out with during non-working hours.

The location (financial district of San Francisco, CA) is also nice. Lots of activities in that area before, during, and after work. Free diet coke, peach vitamin water, orange juice, sparkling water, and Friday lunches.

ConsCursing is okay in the office so there is almost daily verbal abuse (rated MA-17) from middle and upper management. Nasty-gram emails also gets sent just as often. No feedback or constructive criticism, but rather personal criticism targeting the employee. Also, there is no main Human Resource person to talk to about these issues. We had a loaner HR person, and also nothing can be done if this abuse comes from the CEO, CTO, or CFO themselves.

Bonus compensation depends whether the CEO is having a good day or not when he is writing the checks. When I asked why I did not get the full bonus, no answer is given. There was no criticism on how I can perform better so that I can achieve the full bonus.

Management expects you to work longer hours, on weekends, and during vacation. They also expect you to be at work 5 minutes before 8:30am everyday.

Cramped workspace with 2-3 feet of elbow room between you and the next employee.

There is no serious internal documentation on any proprietary technology.

A lot of lying to the customers about features that are not there, demos/prototype that are mostly fabricated, and blatant copying of other company's products.

Lastly, when you put in your 2 weeks notice for leaving, there is a good chance that they will just tell you to take your stuff and go home on-the-spot.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should ease up on the strictness a little and boost your employees' morale. Give them more incentives to work for you. Lastly, please no more nasty-grams or verbal abuses!

Blinkx is a terrible place to work. Poor leadership and communication from management.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros: Cool technology and hot industry. It's also a good location… Cons: The management is very poor leaders and just puppets to the primary investors. Also a very competitive industry so not a lot of upside. They… Advice to Senior Management: Get some management training and understand why the company has such a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Not Great, but Not Bad

I have been working at blinkx

Pros: There was a flexible schedule and independence. Vacation wasn't too… Cons: Not great people to work with, not very professional and the staff is very green and junior.… Advice to Senior Management: Look into your Montreal office...Lot of shady business dealings there. More

There are newer reviews on blinkx.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!

blinkx – Why Work for Us?

blinkx (LSE AIM: BLNX) is an Internet media company that connects consumers and brands through premium content online. Founded in 2004, blinkx pioneered Internet Video Search using its patented COncept Recognition… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at blinkx reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee. All reviews posted anonymously by blinkx employees.