There are newer employer reviews for blinkx

run away.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx

Pros

Nice location, beautiful office, with a great view. Good catered lunches on friday.

Cons

Blinkx has a "work pit" style floorplan, where the engineers sit between senior management, and sales people. There is a constant buzz of noise and talking on the phone, doors slamming, and a "honking" television hooked up to the server monitoring system, so the engineers get blasted by a honk, every 10 minutes. It is impossible to "get in the zone" and code.

Blinkx managers like to create what I call "artificial crunch time" - which is an arbitrarily produced type of pressure , where managers think they can squeeze faster, higher quality work out of employees by trying to constantly keep engineers in "crunch time" mode. " We are on a tight deadline, we need something for our clients to ' play with' over the weekend (friday at 1pm) .," every single friday. This type of management is effective every once in a while, but not every single day - engineers go straight to apathetic mode.

There is a complete lack of planning, project tracking, and specifications on products, because everything needed to be done "yesterday." While I have been at the other end of the spectrum, where projects end up in meeting and discussion hell, and I agree with the agile development philosophy, it only works when there is full transparency and respect.

Respect - Blinkx has an interesting way of purposely disrespecting their employees, as if intimidation and unreasonable boot camp style hazing can produce loyal, effective employees. Employees are constantly threatened with their job security.

Transparency - Everyone is purposely kept in the dark, and only partial information is given to each employee in a project. There are NEVER meetings, NEVER. Managers literally go around to each member of a project and give partial information. This is not a result of bad communication, this is purposely employed as a tactic to improve productivity.

Its all about respect. Thats all it comes down to. Everything else would "work" if there was a level of respect. At least pretend to try and gain the respect of your employees.

There is constantly an amazing, talented, extremely high quality team of designers and engineers at blinkx. Yet only a few stay more than 6 months. The team is talented and passionate enough that, if given freedom and time, can produce exceptionally great products with no pushing. Creativity is not encouraged at blinkx.

72 Other Employee Reviews for blinkx (View Most Recent)

Working for blinkx is like running without legs.

Former Employee - Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros

The location is good and the co-workers are great. Seriously the only reason I stayed at blinkx for as long as I did was because of these two reasons. The salary is relatively decent.

Cons

Managers. They have no regard for any creative input, or any input in general. There is no project management and projects are incredibly rushed. There is no time to refine and polish ideas to generate good products. You start off really excited about a project, invest blood and sweat into it and then management ends up canning it due to poorly planned timelines. In the end you feel like you've accomplished nothing. As a result blinkx is a hodge-podge of mediocrity.

There is no transparency in the company. Everything is done cloak and dagger, need to know basis, so no one knows what is going on. Half the time you find out what the next product is going to be from press releases. Also there is no business model. I worked there over a year and still have no idea how they plan to make money.

Listen to the input from your employees. They have good ideas every now and then. Let the employees make a product that they can be proud of.

A waste of several months.

Former Employee - Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros

For some reason other companies seem to think Blinkx is some inventive/good company. This made it a lot easier to get a better job somewhere else. They did pay pretty decent, and it wasn't really hard to get the job. Most of the entry level employees are really nice, however socializing with them is minimal.

Cons

Dealing with management. Talk about a bunch of ignorant dudes that don't know squat. It's like talking with a computer. Except they get mad and loud a lot easier. Most of the employees are right out of collage. There is no room to learn anything because everything should have been completed yesterday, and brainstorming with colleges is just a waste of time. Also, a lot of promises and lying goes on internally and externally to customers/press.

Strongly consider a new career path.

There are newer employer reviews for blinkx

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!