blinkx

www.blinkx.com

run away.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNice location, beautiful office, with a great view. Good catered lunches on friday.

ConsBlinkx has a "work pit" style floorplan, where the engineers sit between senior management, and sales people. There is a constant buzz of noise and talking on the phone, doors slamming, and a "honking" television hooked up to the server monitoring system, so the engineers get blasted by a honk, every 10 minutes. It is impossible to "get in the zone" and code.

Blinkx managers like to create what I call "artificial crunch time" - which is an arbitrarily produced type of pressure , where managers think they can squeeze faster, higher quality work out of employees by trying to constantly keep engineers in "crunch time" mode. " We are on a tight deadline, we need something for our clients to ' play with' over the weekend (friday at 1pm) .," every single friday. This type of management is effective every once in a while, but not every single day - engineers go straight to apathetic mode.

There is a complete lack of planning, project tracking, and specifications on products, because everything needed to be done "yesterday." While I have been at the other end of the spectrum, where projects end up in meeting and discussion hell, and I agree with the agile development philosophy, it only works when there is full transparency and respect.

Respect - Blinkx has an interesting way of purposely disrespecting their employees, as if intimidation and unreasonable boot camp style hazing can produce loyal, effective employees. Employees are constantly threatened with their job security.

Transparency - Everyone is purposely kept in the dark, and only partial information is given to each employee in a project. There are NEVER meetings, NEVER. Managers literally go around to each member of a project and give partial information. This is not a result of bad communication, this is purposely employed as a tactic to improve productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts all about respect. Thats all it comes down to. Everything else would "work" if there was a level of respect. At least pretend to try and gain the respect of your employees.

There is constantly an amazing, talented, extremely high quality team of designers and engineers at blinkx. Yet only a few stay more than 6 months. The team is talented and passionate enough that, if given freedom and time, can produce exceptionally great products with no pushing. Creativity is not encouraged at blinkx.

Working for blinkx is like running without legs.

Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros: The location is good and the co-workers are great. Seriously the only reason I stayed at blinkx… Cons: Managers. They have no regard for any creative input, or any input in general. There is no project management and projects are incredibly rushed. There… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the input from your employees. They have good ideas every now… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A waste of several months.

Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros: For some reason other companies seem to think Blinkx is some inventive/good company. This made it a lot easier to get a better job… Cons: Dealing with management. Talk about a bunch of ignorant dudes that don't know squat. It's like talking with a computer. Except they… Advice to Senior Management: Strongly consider a new career path. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on blinkx.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!