blinkx

www.blinkx.com

If Only They Had a Clue!

Former Employee - Business Development  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Once building and location (but not actual office space), hot industry, cool technology.

Travel; for my role, face to face meetings were required and encouraged, so I was on a plane every week which meant I was NOT in the office (I'd do anything not to spend my day in that place).

Cons

Executives had ZERO experience in online video, and or online advertising, before starting blinkx so they don't know what they are doing, or what customers want. Additionally they have never truely sold enterprise software (which I was responsible for doing, even though 99% of my colleagues didn't know what I did), so Executives truly have no idea how to sell and close business. Every Quarter there would be at least one deal in which Executive team would get involved in a deal, and totally screw it up to the point where the prospect/customer would stop taking and returning calls! One time an Executive said to me; "Well you're the expert, I've never sold anything before". I sat there thinking, 'so why are you responsible for the sale's team then? And, why am I asking you on negotiating tactics then?!' Read their bios, they are complete fluff.

In every sales environment I've been in, it is expected that the sales person tailor the standard presentation to their personal style and to the audience they are presenting to. At Blinkx any deviation from the corporate deck was not tollerated. My colleauge in Ad Sales went to a client meeting with an Executive, and presented some of his own ideas. After the meeting nothing was said about the custom/new slides the rep has presented, but rather went back to tell the CEO about it. When the rep got back from his second meeting, the CEO came up to him, and asked to see the deck he had presented with Matt. The rep did so and when Suranga saw the custom slides he began yelling at the rep in front of the entire office. He didn't pull him into the conference room, but just stood their and yelled. So not only does the Executive team have zero tact in dealing with employees, but they also has no concept of collaboration, creativity, and empowering his employees to make decisions. This was an experienced Ad Sales rep, and in fact he told me later that the prospect and said they like his ideas best of all. When the concept was sold later, Marketing sent a note out saying "they" had come up with a new product- the rep got no credit.

What I found totally amazing was that the engineering team had no idea what my job was. My role was responsible for bringing in REVENUE, and yet non of the engineers had a clue that Blinkx sold software. They thought Blinkx simply sold ads on blinkx.com. How do you not tell your employees that your company sells software?

Each person who has worked for this Executive team, probably has at least a dozen stories of how inept, clueless, rude, and disrespectful, this team is. They probably also have tons of stories of how there is a lack of collaboration, trust, communication, and visibility into corporate goals, product road map (they don't even have a product road map), and overall lack of team.

Despite the all of these "glowing" reviews on this site, and the incredible employee churn, you will probably never change your ways. You think you know what you are doing and everyone else is wrong. Keep it up!

Other reviews for blinkx

Place is a complete mess run by people without a clue

Pros

Interesting product, always intriguing to potential clients. Fairly good benefits as well as good technology and hardware provided to employees.

Cons

Management is totally clueless. They are unresponsive unless they need something. There is a total lack of respect for employees, who are frequently verbally chewed out and insulted in the presence of everyone else. There is no sales strategy and very little support. Management is unwilling to accept feedback because it's apparent that any suggestions are viewed as a judgement on their performance. Instead of offering positive support or suggestion, management responds to questions and feedback with the "you're not doing your job properly" response. Unwilling to accept that products are priced in a totally unrealistic manner with respect to the rest of the industry.

Give people a chance to be successful. Respect your employees, as they're people. not drones to be controlled. Accept feedback and criticism from salespeople and use it to better the company instead of replying with insults clearly based on insecurity. Hire management with sales experience that also live in this continent...not South America.

run away.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nice location, beautiful office, with a great view. Good catered lunches on friday.

Cons

Blinkx has a "work pit" style floorplan, where the engineers sit between senior management, and sales people. There is a constant buzz of noise and talking on the phone, doors slamming, and a "honking" television hooked up to the server monitoring system, so the engineers get blasted by a honk, every 10 minutes. It is impossible to "get in the zone" and code.

Blinkx managers like to create what I call "artificial crunch time" - which is an arbitrarily produced type of pressure , where managers think they can squeeze faster, higher quality work out of employees by trying to constantly keep engineers in "crunch time" mode. " We are on a tight deadline, we need something for our clients to ' play with' over the weekend (friday at 1pm) .," every single friday. This type of management is effective every once in a while, but not every single day - engineers go straight to apathetic mode.

There is a complete lack of planning, project tracking, and specifications on products, because everything needed to be done "yesterday." While I have been at the other end of the spectrum, where projects end up in meeting and discussion hell, and I agree with the agile development philosophy, it only works when there is full transparency and respect.

Respect - Blinkx has an interesting way of purposely disrespecting their employees, as if intimidation and unreasonable boot camp style hazing can produce loyal, effective employees. Employees are constantly threatened with their job security.

Transparency - Everyone is purposely kept in the dark, and only partial information is given to each employee in a project. There are NEVER meetings, NEVER. Managers literally go around to each member of a project and give partial information. This is not a result of bad communication, this is purposely employed as a tactic to improve productivity.

Its all about respect. Thats all it comes down to. Everything else would "work" if there was a level of respect. At least pretend to try and gain the respect of your employees.

There is constantly an amazing, talented, extremely high quality team of designers and engineers at blinkx. Yet only a few stay more than 6 months. The team is talented and passionate enough that, if given freedom and time, can produce exceptionally great products with no pushing. Creativity is not encouraged at blinkx.

There are newer employer reviews for blinkx.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!