blinkx
www.blinkx.com San Francisco, CA 150 to 499 Employees

If Only They Had a Clue!

Business Development (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsOnce building and location (but not actual office space), hot industry, cool technology.

Travel; for my role, face to face meetings were required and encouraged, so I was on a plane every week which meant I was NOT in the office (I'd do anything not to spend my day in that place).

ConsExecutives had ZERO experience in online video, and or online advertising, before starting blinkx so they don't know what they are doing, or what customers want. Additionally they have never truely sold enterprise software (which I was responsible for doing, even though 99% of my colleagues didn't know what I did), so Executives truly have no idea how to sell and close business. Every Quarter there would be at least one deal in which Executive team would get involved in a deal, and totally screw it up to the point where the prospect/customer would stop taking and returning calls! One time an Executive said to me; "Well you're the expert, I've never sold anything before". I sat there thinking, 'so why are you responsible for the sale's team then? And, why am I asking you on negotiating tactics then?!' Read their bios, they are complete fluff.

In every sales environment I've been in, it is expected that the sales person tailor the standard presentation to their personal style and to the audience they are presenting to. At Blinkx any deviation from the corporate deck was not tollerated. My colleauge in Ad Sales went to a client meeting with an Executive, and presented some of his own ideas. After the meeting nothing was said about the custom/new slides the rep has presented, but rather went back to tell the CEO about it. When the rep got back from his second meeting, the CEO came up to him, and asked to see the deck he had presented with Matt. The rep did so and when Suranga saw the custom slides he began yelling at the rep in front of the entire office. He didn't pull him into the conference room, but just stood their and yelled. So not only does the Executive team have zero tact in dealing with employees, but they also has no concept of collaboration, creativity, and empowering his employees to make decisions. This was an experienced Ad Sales rep, and in fact he told me later that the prospect and said they like his ideas best of all. When the concept was sold later, Marketing sent a note out saying "they" had come up with a new product- the rep got no credit.

What I found totally amazing was that the engineering team had no idea what my job was. My role was responsible for bringing in REVENUE, and yet non of the engineers had a clue that Blinkx sold software. They thought Blinkx simply sold ads on blinkx.com. How do you not tell your employees that your company sells software?

Each person who has worked for this Executive team, probably has at least a dozen stories of how inept, clueless, rude, and disrespectful, this team is. They probably also have tons of stories of how there is a lack of collaboration, trust, communication, and visibility into corporate goals, product road map (they don't even have a product road map), and overall lack of team.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite the all of these "glowing" reviews on this site, and the incredible employee churn, you will probably never change your ways. You think you know what you are doing and everyone else is wrong. Keep it up!

Place is a complete mess run by people without a clue

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at blinkx

Pros: Interesting product, always intriguing to potential clients. Fairly good benefits… Cons: Management is totally clueless. They are unresponsive unless they need something. There is a total lack of respect for employees, who are frequently verbally chewed… Advice to Senior Management: Give people a chance to be successful. Respect your employees, as they're people. not drones to be controlled. Accept feedback and criticism from salespeople and… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

run away.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx

Pros: Nice location, beautiful office, with a great view. Good catered… Cons: Blinkx has a "work pit" style floorplan, where the engineers sit between senior management, and sales people. There is a constant buzz of noise and… Advice to Senior Management: Its all about respect. Thats all it comes down to. Everything else would "work" if there was a level of respect. At least pretend to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on blinkx.

Worked for blinkx? Contribute to the Community!

blinkx – Why Work for Us?

blinkx (LSE AIM: BLNX) is an Internet media company that connects consumers and brands through premium content online. Founded in 2004, blinkx pioneered Internet Video Search using its patented COncept Recognition… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at blinkx reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee. All reviews posted anonymously by blinkx employees.