There are newer employer reviews for blinkx

Great Possibilities, Poor execution

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Hot space
Interesting technology
Good buzz in industry

Cons

Poor execution on products
Terrible treatment of employees
Poor communication- starting at management
Bogus PR: papering the industry with meaningless press releases
Lack of support, yet all the obligations on accomplishing things

It's time to clean house at the management level at blinkx, I don't think any reputable person who can contact people via sites like this or social networks will take a job at blinkx unless they are desperate.

78 Other Employee Reviews for blinkx (View Most Recent)

If Only They Had a Clue!

Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Once building and location (but not actual office space), hot industry, cool technology.

Travel; for my role, face to face meetings were required and encouraged, so I was on a plane every week which meant I was NOT in the office (I'd do anything not to spend my day in that place).

Cons

Executives had ZERO experience in online video, and or online advertising, before starting blinkx so they don't know what they are doing, or what customers want. Additionally they have never truely sold enterprise software (which I was responsible for doing, even though 99% of my colleagues didn't know what I did), so Executives truly have no idea how to sell and close business. Every Quarter there would be at least one deal in which Executive team would get involved in a deal, and totally screw it up to the point where the prospect/customer would stop taking and returning calls! One time an Executive said to me; "Well you're the expert, I've never sold anything before". I sat there thinking, 'so why are you responsible for the sale's team then? And, why am I asking you on negotiating tactics then?!' Read their bios, they are complete fluff.

In every sales environment I've been in, it is expected that the sales person tailor the standard presentation to their personal style and to the audience they are presenting to. At Blinkx any deviation from the corporate deck was not tollerated. My colleauge in Ad Sales went to a client meeting with an Executive, and presented some of his own ideas. After the meeting nothing was said about the custom/new slides the rep has presented, but rather went back to tell the CEO about it. When the rep got back from his second meeting, the CEO came up to him, and asked to see the deck he had presented with Matt. The rep did so and when Suranga saw the custom slides he began yelling at the rep in front of the entire office. He didn't pull him into the conference room, but just stood their and yelled. So not only does the Executive team have zero tact in dealing with employees, but they also has no concept of collaboration, creativity, and empowering his employees to make decisions. This was an experienced Ad Sales rep, and in fact he told me later that the prospect and said they like his ideas best of all. When the concept was sold later, Marketing sent a note out saying "they" had come up with a new product- the rep got no credit.

What I found totally amazing was that the engineering team had no idea what my job was. My role was responsible for bringing in REVENUE, and yet non of the engineers had a clue that Blinkx sold software. They thought Blinkx simply sold ads on blinkx.com. How do you not tell your employees that your company sells software?

Each person who has worked for this Executive team, probably has at least a dozen stories of how inept, clueless, rude, and disrespectful, this team is. They probably also have tons of stories of how there is a lack of collaboration, trust, communication, and visibility into corporate goals, product road map (they don't even have a product road map), and overall lack of team.

Despite the all of these "glowing" reviews on this site, and the incredible employee churn, you will probably never change your ways. You think you know what you are doing and everyone else is wrong. Keep it up!

Place is a complete mess run by people without a clue

I worked at blinkx

Pros

Interesting product, always intriguing to potential clients. Fairly good benefits as well as good technology and hardware provided to employees.

Cons

Management is totally clueless. They are unresponsive unless they need something. There is a total lack of respect for employees, who are frequently verbally chewed out and insulted in the presence of everyone else. There is no sales strategy and very little support. Management is unwilling to accept feedback because it's apparent that any suggestions are viewed as a judgement on their performance. Instead of offering positive support or suggestion, management responds to questions and feedback with the "you're not doing your job properly" response. Unwilling to accept that products are priced in a totally unrealistic manner with respect to the rest of the industry.

Give people a chance to be successful. Respect your employees, as they're people. not drones to be controlled. Accept feedback and criticism from salespeople and use it to better the company instead of replying with insults clearly based on insecurity. Hire management with sales experience that also live in this continent...not South America.

There are newer employer reviews for blinkx