dbox

www.dbox.com

A prime example of a small company trying to do it all, at the expense of staff.

Production Artist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI wish I could find at least ONE good reason to take a position here. Out of an office of about 25, five are not socially stunted and easy to communicate with professional and socially. It's easily accessible by the subway and it is near some great shopping in the west village.

ConsAverage work day is 10 hours. Everyone eats at their desks. My contract was a mandatory 50 hours a week. They will tell you at interview the office hours are 10am-6pm with some over time to be expected.

50% of the staff is on a work visa from another country. Many have English as a second language. Entire staff works 10+ hour days. If you work past 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, do not expect dinner on the house, ever. Often I ate dinner at midnight, after traveling home late by subway, and returned to work by 9am then next day. On average staff is in the office past 9pm.

One big open office. Winter sickness runs rampant.
It is frowned upon HIGHLY to miss work due to sickness. I was docked a personal day when I could not get to work due to the snowstorm of 2010, even though my supervisor ok'd the absence. HR said they did not approve it, so I was docked a personal day. I also worked on an approved day off, but was not granted another day off for compensation.

They do not bill clients correctly.
I turned in my billing, showed back up and was still told by HR (also the billing person? and a partner with the company?) that the client would never pay such a bill and angry with me, changed my billing.

Project managers don't know how to project manage.
They really are just coordinators/messengers. There is only 1 who is a partner, that has an idea what a project manager is and actually would take the time to clarify or say no to client. Unfortunately she would often forget to send the finished product for client final approval. Often I would hear, "I don't understand all that "technical stuff". Often I would offer to help and explain and she took that as an insult.

No Proof Reader. No Trafficker. Project Managers do not proof work or manage deadlines or traffick their jobs. Most do not even know when jobs are due even with reminder emails and access to a media calendar.

They NEVER say no to the client. PERIOD.
Which always means more unscheduled work to do and expect it to be completed within the same deadlines. You will not be able to make any social plans during the work week. Expect to cancel all.

Unrealistic deadlines are the norm.
Do not expect senior staff to assist in getting the goal reached. If you need to be in early, they often disregard requests. Twice I was left sitting waiting for someone to show up and open the office when senior staff gave the client more time to make a decision, which required me to stay late to have things ready in the morning. Many times senior staff would be late, which would cause more anxiety and often mistakes due to the unrealistic deadlines that they would create.

IT is mainly useful for PCs.
They do not know MACs and do not take advice well. I would sit there offer suggestions, and be told "they will figure it out". Often that left me behind in my work because they could not adequately make adjustments to the MACs.

Some supervisors do not know the programs being used in the office.
Often I was asked for assistance on projects senior staff accepted, but did not know what to do. I stayed until 8pm, in once instance, because my supervisor asked me to help with a MS Word file. I was meeting someone, but I thought this was work related so as always, I put personal on hold. I did not know until I started working in the document that it was for "a friend of his". It was a bar menu. He made me stay until 8pm working on his personal project. I find this unprofessional on so many levels. I also was asked to stay late printing out a large quantity of ads for a senior staff member's personal use. This was something they should have done. It was not work related, and I was not paid overtime for any of these extra projects.

Human Resources - ugh...let me count the ways....
HR Messed up:
1) my social security # on my W2 (caught at tax time).
2) my commuter benefit card messed up 2x's. first time HR didn't follow up on my first inquiry that the card was not working. Second time, because the wrong ss # that I had corrected on my own, caused a snowball effect and deactivated my new card. HR was on another vacation and caused me to loose more benefit monies that was to offset my wage.
3) HR (1 person) gave me incorrect benefit information when I left the company.
4) HR (1 person) reported my earnings incorrectly for 2010. They were off by $10,000.
4) HR (1 person) did not attach the documents for me to sign when I first got hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen, Learn and expect to be wrong. Respect staff. Communicate better. Do not point fingers, except responsibility for your mistakes. Remember to believe your words that all are equal in the office. Create realistic deadlines. A file structure for the server that is intuitive. Say no to the clients.

There are newer reviews on dbox.

Worked for dbox? Contribute to the Community!