dd's DISCOUNTS

There are newer employer reviews for dd's DISCOUNTS

A living nightmare!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Fe Springs, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Fe Springs, CA

I worked at dd's DISCOUNTS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Met some cool people that made the job bearable

Cons

Hours and pay are horrible
Management is very unprofessional
No opportunity for career growth
HR doesn't care how management treats their employees

Management needs to treat their employees better and be more professional. They should take responsibility for their mistakes and not blame the employees. They shouldn't do things the way HR wants them to do only when HR comes to visit, but at all times.

79 Other Employee Reviews for dd's DISCOUNTS (View Most Recent)

Hostility from customers and management

Former Employee - Retail Associate in Chino, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Associate in Chino, CA

I worked at dd's DISCOUNTS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very flexible with availability. There were times were I could only work weekends or certain times of the day and they would worked around that. Also the employee discount of 20% and on certain days 40% were really great.

Cons

Since the company is a discount retail store that serves at a lower income bracket the customers have a tendency to be more aggressive and abusive toward customers. During my time there I was repeatedly threatened or cursed at on a regular basis by customers. Due to Obamacare coming into affect soon the company began restricting everyone to work under 25 hours a week, but to be safe they restrict everyone to under 20. The amount of work expected by a sole individual is very unrealistic. It is common that the work normally done by a team of 3 to 4 people is now given to one person.

Management is very hands off. The managers had a tendency of remaining in their office. I would have enjoyed working alongside them more in the front registers or on projects. In additions they were very rude and condescending at times and I noticed that this sense of hostility went all the way up the corporate ladder during visits from the district and regional managers. I would advise all management to rethink on how they talk to each other and their associates.

Something different everyday!!!!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at dd's DISCOUNTS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Benefits
    - A job is a job!
    - Cool coworkers you may develop long-term friendships with
    - Again I say: Something different everyday! The job doesn't really get boring since it's never too routine!
    - Flexibility. You may apply for one position but are allowed to work multiple if you request it.

Cons

- Ratchets. 'Nuff said.
    - It may be a Discount store BUT customers still try to find their way to either steal from the store or to be able to get things for much cheaper than they already are!
    - Requirement for fast-paced check out is hard to achieve when customers take their time deciding on what they should get and not having their cash ready by the time you give them their total.
    - Store gets busy real often! Especially on holidays & weekends!
    - Some coworkers may be carry out their own weight. i.e. slacking off leading to others having to put in DOUBLE the amout of efforts!

- Improve management communications! I hate having to make sure consistently with different people in management about my schedules/extensions etc.! Just to have another manager whining at me about the same thing still!
    - Update the registers!!!! They are too old, laggy. And dysfunctional! There's always at least ONE problem with them nowadays! Technology is only advancing! Keep up with it!
    - Have your supervisors & assistant managers improve on letting the associates onto their breaks & lunches on time! Stop putting it off just because the store is "too busy!" Our lunches & breaks are written as part if the LAW! Follow it if you don't wanna be sued!

There are newer employer reviews for dd's DISCOUNTS