There are newer employer reviews for eBay Enterprise

Worst company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - IT Management in King of Prussia, PA
Current Employee - IT Management in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at eBay Enterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Central location in KofP. Good pay Great exposure to technology Great company if you can find a place to hide out while you build your resume and collect good pay

Cons

For most people the pros are outweighed by all of the negatives about this place. Never have I seen a place with a worse culture. This was fostered by the previous owner/founder and is slowly changing. I can't think of the right word, so I'll say "anti-collaborative". Everyone is pitted against each other by management. I've never seen a company with such misaligment at the top. We're like several different companies working under the same roof. People are miserable and dont have a long life here. Most people figure it out and leave. I figured it out in my first month, but have stayed b/c the pros outweighed the cons for me. never would recommend the place to anyone, friend or not. Always steer people away. Shame b/c we're stilling on a goldmine. Just dont have the executive leadership to realize potential.

Advice to Management

Sadly you are the problem. In all bad/failed companies the blame can be spread around. The blame here does not fall on the actual workers who are only following poor leaders. Nothing will change w/out a house cleaning by eBay.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Trying to make it better with incomplete success

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at eBay Enterprise full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talking the right talk about agile. Good use of Linux. Smart colleagues. Free coffee. Cheap candy. Periodic free food. Easy parking.

Cons

Colleagues competing with respect to how long they work and how early in the morning they come in. Demands to work during vacation, week-ends. Demands to reschedule vacation. People being shown the door with no sensible explanation. A culture of fire fighting instead of pro-active problem prevention. Trying to get things done sooner by decree. Lack of admin access on Windows PCs gets in the way. Unwillingness to address short staffing that damages progress of multiple teams. Volatile requirements. Unevenly applied rules. Work space so noisy everyone uses earphones or ear plugs. Benefits do not start one's first day of employment and they don't say so in the offer.

Advice to Management

You cannot travel from Boston to Los Angeles in 3 seconds by decreeing that it be so. You cannot get work done in a certain time by decree, even if it is work that you do not understand. Technical debt and cut corners are killing your success. Give people the time to do things correctly. Work costs less in the long run when done right from the beginning. Read the book, Peopleware, about how noise damages productivity.

a great experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I worked at eBay Enterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

creativity, fun, and interesting work. Never ending amount of interesting work to do.

Cons

long hours, and sometimes tight deadlines. need to ensure you work for a good group, otherwise you will feel bite of politics.

Advice to Management

allow more autonomy