There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Takes too long to make decisions and execute.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Great work-life balance. People are generally smart and nice to work with.

Cons

Management always seem to change strategy. there is a lack of accountability within the company. Decisions take too long to be made in the company.

Need a visionary leader.

1103 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

good place

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc.

Pros

The people are nice..San Jose is a good city and the work is good. The company has a huge global presence and the website exists in many different countries in several different languages. Also, with the acquisition of Skype and PayPal, there is a lot more work that can be done to improve the current condition at eBay.

Cons

the company is on the decline and the stock prices are plunging. Some of the policies adopted by the company are not going down well with the users and thus the user base of eBay is falling.

try to get eBay back on top and do it soon!!

eBay was great to work for until around 2004 when everything started to crack and and fall to pieces.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay Inc.

Pros

Good medical benefits package (in 2006). On site gym. Unlimited free drinks from vending machines. Dual LCD monitors at every workstation, telecommuting available with company provided laptop. Very good Herman Miller chairs for every employee in the office. Close proximity to freeway interchange in Draper. My coworkers were great to work with (not any supervisors or team leads though).

Until my position was outsourced (in 2004), they were a company I was proud to say I worked for. I would even wear company attire. They provided use of Macro Express which was very helpful in providing "personal" canned responses. The Supervisors and Team Leads had frequent off site lunch "meetings" which is great if you're a Supervisor or Team Lead. Quarterly profit sharing bonuses based on performance if Wall Street goals are met or exceeded. Dedicated phone rooms for local calls. Decent sized break rooms with big screen TVs. Several dedicated meeting rooms. No cubicles (instead "lasagna" type seating). You get a 1 month sabbatical after 5 years of employment - if you can last there that long (I came up about a year short).

Cons

Very high stress level. High degree of micromanagement. Insanely high productivity metrics. The only way to meet their productivity metrics is to do at least 3 chats at the same time (but never tell a customer you have another chat going or you'll be written up as "unprofessional").

Only 3 out of about 20 people on my team were even getting the "meets expectations" rating for productivity, yet eBay kept increasing the metrics anyway. Promotions go to the wrong people (i.e. A handicapped female with no experience instead of a qualified, knowledgable employee). They participate in outsourcing to India. eBay became a company I was ashamed to admit I worked for. They have developed a bad reputation due to all the fraud on the site, high fees, and their poor customer service.

They prefer quantity over quality for customer service. Management frequently held off site lunch "meetings" leaving no one to help if an issue came up with a customer that required escalation. Supervisors and Team Leads would avoid escalations as much as possible and were never helpful. Supervisors and Team Leads were hypocritical, would not listen to the concerns of their team, and always put business first. Salary is only average. Several long time employees either quit or were fired due to eBay's ridiculous productivity metrics. Several supervisors gave me empty promises and false hopes of providing training to help get promoted during my years of employment. Couldn't clock in more than 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late without receiving a hit on attendance.

Some employees had to share desks. No roaming profiles on PCs. If you moved to a different location, your PC would not come with you so you'd have to setup all over from scratch, like a new employee (and moving to new desks was quite frequent). Very limited user account on PCs. Very poor annual raises. Only get one floating holiday. eBay upper management is out of touch with customers and front line employees.

No opportunity to gain skills you could use at other jobs - you use internal tools which are useless when changing jobs. The help line was rarely helpful. When eBay missed Wall Street goals for the first time, regular employees did not get a bonus, but the CEO (Meg Whitman at the time) received a one million dollar bonus.

Realize that front line employees are people too, not robots. Front line employees are in direct contact with thousands of customers daily; customers who often times determine their continued use of the site based on the customer service they receive. Stop outsourcing to foreign countries! Start caring about quality service! Bring back what eBay used to be. Management has lost sight of what really matters - eBay users.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!