eBay Inc.

www.ebay.com
There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Great time to be @ eBay

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff I in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff I in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

- This is a time in which the company is very open to new and innovative ways to do things better. Lots of room for input and creativity.
- Some very smart people here. Everyone I've interacted with so far seems to at least carry their own weight.
- Generous compensation (if you're willing to negotiate)
- Technology leadership decisions/goals are more transparent than I've seen at other places.
- Flexible about time off/telecommuting (though this may be dependent on your manager)

Cons

- There's certainly a bell curve in terms of talent. Some people are amazing but many others, while they do their best, are just OK.
- Communication/transparency with offshore teams is difficult. Domestic management seems to have less control/influence over these teams then they should.
- Documentation and formal processes are lacking. This makes getting up to speed and getting things done very difficult at first.

- Get serious about capturing and cultivating top talent. The entire hiring process needs to be streamlined so that we don't lose people who could be valuable contributors to eBay to our competitors, who seem to move faster than we do on these things.
- Continue pushing on innovation and expecting creative solutions from your employees. This is actually what makes us excited to come to work every day.
- Focus on what makes eBay unique and different instead of trying to be like Amazon.

1218 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

Lots of work - Lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff II in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Lots of work - Lots of opportunity. So many projects it's important to set your priorities and focus on the teams goals. Take time to communicate with management and determine how to spend your time.

Cons

Lots of options to get distracted with side projects and solving issues for others. They're growing so fast there will be lot's of things that fall through the cracks.

Keep track of technical debt and make plans to shift work effort based on need. Just because you were working on something a few months ago doesn't mean it's still relevant. It's important to have a sponsor for the project we spend our time on.

YMMV: highly dependent on your function, management, and executive support

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

eBay was the internet darling, and every company wanted to be them. Through my 10+ year career I had the chance to move to different areas of the business including PayPal and learn a lot about how the business functions, the technology, and innerworkings.

Pluses:
    -technology is leading edge
    -opportunity is there, if you are career minded and watch out for yourself
    -on the whole, most managers are okay
    -pay is above average

Cons

It's now a big company. It's slow to move. While they consider themselves innovative and cutting edge, there's plenty of bureaucracy that will hamper nimbleness and ability to react to the market changes.

Minuses:
    -some executives and managers are just completely incompetent
    -hours are long, especially if you are in product development or QA
    -can be egotistical attitudes
    -highly political environment

Better delivery on strategy. More transparency to employees about changes in strategic direction. Make sure executives are qualified to lead respective areas. Don't force fit employees from acquisitions into positions they aren't qualified to lead.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.