eBay Inc.

www.ebay.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

ebay is cool

Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Information Security Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc.

Pros

cool place to work with. Great people with great minds.
No work pressure. Understanding and caring employees. ebay takes care of its employees the most. So a fun and a challenging place to work in. Communication is good. Compensation and benefits are good. Employee morale is awesome. Recognition and feedback is ok. Work/Life balance is the best I have experienced. Respect for all employees. Not many layoffs. very secure and stable company.

Cons

Well, I guess there is not much career growth. Lot of people in the same job band, where as very very few at the top or higher management level.

Well, I guess pressure must be induced in projects. Slack deadlines must not be tolerated.

1263 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

eBay: Great place to work, but extremely demanding of time and energy.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Fun environment where employees can take initiative on projects.

Cons

Very demanding and time consuming. Little respect paid to work/life balance and my perception is that those who work 24/7 are rewarded and advanced while those who do not adopt that lifestyle stay stagnant in their positions.

Work/Life balance and morale are modeled and displayed by you and you alone. If you keep a ridiculous schedule, so will your employees. If you are not happy about the future of the company or happy about your position in the company, your employees will adopt your morale. One of the main tennants of working at eBay is "Keep it Human." I feel like lip service is paid to that ethic and not truly practiced by senior management. I think work/life balance and 'Keep it Human' should be your top priorities as managers during this stage of the company's life.

Good company for data analysts

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc.

Pros

Metrics are a huge thing at eBay, except that the meaning of the metrics are completely lost. All that matters is meeting the number. How you meet it is irrelevant. Case in point. There is a metric that no fewer than 50 API bugs be open at 4:00 every Friday. In order to meet this number several strategies are employed: No one is permitted to file bugs on Friday. In extreme cases, bugs are closed even though the reported problem has not been fixed. Both of these are considered appropriate actions because all that matters is meeting the number.

Cons

eBay is so obsessed with measuring one's contribution to the company, that the measurement itself becomes the most common task. One's job becomes an exercise in making powerpoint decks to show that you are making a real difference. My job had nothing to do with eBay. My job was about attending certain meetings through which I could collect raw data that I could then later "spin" into making me (and thus my boss) look like a winner. I was taught how to do it. A successful employee discovers which meetings will give you the BS data you need. If you end a quarter showing that you handled 10% more projects than before, it must mean you are a genius, and you are doing great. Link that increase to a newly launched tool and you'll be a God. Custom built efficiency tools are the key to making unhappy workers more able to "grow" efficiency. Just don't ask for any "train seats" for those tools (God forbid).

eBay's management likes to think that the company is entirely run based on well-defined quarterly goals. Except that the goals are rarely if ever defined until past the mid-point in the quarter and you are penalized for not reading you management chain's minds for the first part.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.