There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Amazing Place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment. Great opportunity for growth and work with great people who are friendly and are willing to help. I am able to learn a lot of new things while on the job. Its a good learning experience for me.

Cons

I dont have any views for cons except for the cafeteria. I bring my own food.

1131 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

Better have a degree

Former Employee - Account Manager in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment. Some of the supervisors are really great. The pay is decent.

Cons

If you want to do something other than customer service, you better have atleast Bachelor's degree better if you have an MBA. No matter the the customers don't speak that language.

Don't focus so much on educational degrees for positions that are in direct contact with the eBay sellers, this is not the biggest priority.

Frustrating, given management changes and overall turmoil

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ideas win, data wins, people are exceedingly friendly, the entire organization seems to be rowing in the same direction. The culture is almost deceptively open--you get the feeling at first that you'll be able to change the company in big ways, and everyone listens to you. The compensation was extremely competitive, particularly the RSUs, given the trajectory of the stock as of late

Cons

They haven't been able to figure out how to integrate Quality into the Engineering process yet. Even though people are open to new things, the skill of the average engineer within the organization is much lower than at any high tech company I've been exposed to. It often seems like they have 10 mediocre people working where one really good person would do better. The code is so convoluted, so deeply coupled, so disastrously unreadable, It is difficult to imagine how they can implement features at all

When I left, it appeared as though things were headed in the right direction, with more focus on true SOA implementation and a unified presentation layer. As long as that keeps up, things will probably improve. My biggest problem was, the rug was pulled out from under me not once but twice in 5 months, as directions and plans and technology stacks were re-thought and re-argued endlessly. If things stabilize, eBay could be a formidable engineering organization. At the moment I think it's more momentum keeping you afloat than innovation.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.