Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer II
Current Employee - Software Engineer II

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time

Pros

great opportunity, nice people, fun job

Cons

your office is not big enough

reviews filtered by
  1. Great people to work with, but chaotic management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. I’ve had the opportunity to work with some of the brightest, fairest and down to earth managers throughout my working life.
    If you have the potential then you do have a clear path to progress in your career, within your domain or cross functionally.

Cons

There are some areas of the business with chaotic management and unrealistic expectations causing everyone to try too many different things haphazardly, resulting in increased stress levels and lowered productivity.
    In certain areas of the organization there is huge imbalance in the number of employees asking questions vs. those answering them or implementing changes. For instance - for some products there are greater number of BU and PMs vs. PD and analytics. In these teams work life balance can be hard to come by if you are part of the latter two teams.

Advice to Management

Very glad to see we are spending more time and energy on innovation. Please continue to encourage this. I think it is the right focus for a business close to its saturation point looking for a step function increase in growth.

Maybe we can cram a few more desks in here somewhere..

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager and (most of my) colleagues were professionals, and it was a pleasure to work with them.
    Great benefits.
    Good work life balance. My manager was fine with me working from 6-8 at home, and then from 9-4 at the office.

Cons

Physical environment was awful for software development.

Salary was not competitive, even when compared to those performing similar work in the company.

I got decent performance bonuses, however I object to distribution "on a curve", where managers essentially have to duke it out so their reports can get decent bonuses. This ingrains a belief that you can't have a team where multiple people are performing at "exceeds expectations"-- which isn't true.

Advice to Management

The millions of dollars that were spent constructing the new Draper facility will be dwarfed by the millions of dollars in lost productivity over the life of the building. You really should have built in some quiet areas (offices) where people doing thought-work could concentrate.

I left for a 50% salary increase; I didn't feel I could accept eBay's offers to match it because I didn't feel I would be able to deliver 50% more in the environment I was asked to work.