There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Terrible manager ruined experience

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some friendly and collaborative co-workers

Cons

- Like something out of a Dilbert cartoon
- Poor, depressing culture
- Long hours
- Terrible middle managers
- Heavy butt covering, me me me, command and control attitude of managers
- Managers watch your time like you are an hourly worker
- No arrival/departure time flexibility
- Pay 10-15% below market at the time (2008-2010)
- Co-workers not that smart. Couldn't learn anything from them.
- Very outdated software stack
- No room for innovation
- Product Managers ruled, and they weren't very good

I suffocated in this work environment (I was a new grad), dealt with jealousy of co-workers and managers, was constantly micro-managed and boxed-in, and was never given any real room to try new things, learn new things, do new things, or implement things differently. Every attempt to do something new was met with talk that I didn't know what I was doing, or was squashed for some other reason.

The managers constantly insisted that I didn't know how to do A and that I didn't know how to do B even though I clearly new, and they went to great lengths to ensure that I would never get an opportunity to do them to "prove myself." The managers were obsessed with knowing and commenting on the time I got into work and the time I left and would harass me about this (and any random thing they could find), rather than leave me to do my work.

Company culture needs work and so does the software that powers the site.

1107 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

ebay Search is most political/ worst group I ever worked in my career

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary/ mac book. Stock is doing fine.

Cons

eBay search is run in a very disorganized fashion. They are developing new search engine which only few folks are allowed to touch. Rest of the engineers are not utilized properly and no one cares for the end product. Most of engineers have left the group and many are in process to leave the group. Managers lack technical expertise and are busy in playing politics and using one against other. This was not the case earlier. I will seriously advice you not to join the search group as this will be total waste of time.

Senior management (outside the search group) should really see the dynamics of this group and take some harsh actions. You cannot afford to have a search group with a short term vision of delivering cassini. There is no team which has been built and it will require some cleaning to get the group in order.

Good place to work until John Donahoe came along.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great to work from home. Good pay. OK benefits. Provided computer setup. ESPP. Stock options. Work schedules could be adjusted.

Cons

John Donahoe laid off the remote team at the first opportunity that came along. eBay then went on to post the highest profits to date. We lost all of our stock options which were underwater, but eBay traded out the rest of the employees stock options for new options with value.

Don't be cheapskates and remember who started eBay and were there from the beginning.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!