eBay Inc.

www.ebay.com
There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

eBay is better than most of the crappy jobs I've had

Current Employee - Associate Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Associate Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Big company with lots of exposure and impact in the market. Really, in all fairness, it's not the worst place in the world to work. In the beginning, when I started, the stock benefits were sweet. Now, they've dried up, so that thrill is gone. I've bounced around to a lot of jobs within the company, and it's more or less the same everywhere: confusion. Management is trying to find the eBay mojo again. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they have the vision and creativity that Pierre had when he started eBay. I'm not even sure it would be as great if he started it tomorrow.

Cons

Stock price and company mojo have dissipated in the last few years. No longer the visionary company Pierre started.

Stop worrying about the stock price, and start managing for the future. Find out what the members want, and give it to them in the simplest way possible. Reduce site complexity.

1209 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

Still a great place to work but could use some improvement

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

The eBay environment is warm and friendly and the company does a great job of trying to keep things "human". The benefits and salary are competitive with an attractive 4 week sabbatical after 5 years of service. Employees are encouraged to be true owners of their deliverables.

Cons

The company has a huge list of to-do's but lacks the right staffing to stay agile. Work-life balance will always be a challenge. The company priorities are cloudy across the enterprise and across the portfolio of companies.

Hire great talent. Great individual contributors does not always equal great people management - hire and promote well-rounded individuals.

A Story of What Could Have Been -- But Isn't and Won't Be

Former Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc.

Pros

Great brand, and a great business, still, even though the business model has been effectively outmoded by the changes that have swept thru e-commerce in the past 5 years. Pierre Omidyar was and is a visionary with a truly unique business idea and a singular view of what the Internet can do for our society. It looks good on your resume -- even with the recent tarnishing of eBay's image and relevance, people still respect you for having worked there. There are some really fantastic people at eBay, at all levels of the company, even after many/most of the really great folks have moved on.

Cons

Three words: politics, politics & politics. The working environment reflects Meg Whitman's own political style ... which is to say ruthless and passive-aggressive. Meg and her leadership team managed to transform Pierre's utopian vision and great business idea into a sharp-edged organization feeding the Street quarter to quarter. What a shame. Meg's gone now but the die is cast ... I'm still in touch with lots of friends at eBay and nothing's really changed -- except they renamed eBay Park "Whitman Campus" and now there's a Hooters across the street. I'll bet Meg's blueblooded sensibilities are deeply offended by that ... hilarious. Anyway, I ultimately left eBay because I couldn't square the incredible opportunity there with how they've sucked all the life out of Pierre's original vision. That, and because it's a sweatshop that inevitably burns people out and then tells them they seem less engaged. Wha??

Recognize that the eBay marketplace is going away ... e-commerce has grown up all around eBay (while Meg was absorbed with the business of being Meg), and the typical online buyer's tolerance for Amateur Hour is dwindling fast. PayPal is the only real strategic asset going forward. Dump Skype -- what a turkey. I'd sell the whole mess to Google while you can still get a good price.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.