The new eBay

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern last summer, and I absolutely loved my experience; however, coming in as a full time employee has far exceeded my expectations. HR organized a two week training program with all new hires from around the country. We learned so much and it was a blast (happy hours and dinners every night). Working in marketplaces, I was able to get a more well-rounded view of the entire company. I'm so excited to hit the desk tomorrow and kick off my career at eBay.

Cons

The company has yet to manage its reputation/brand image. The public doesn't quite understand what eBay Inc has to offer holistically as a commerce company -- there is still a stigma that consumers can only buy junk on eBay (but really, over 70% is new and buy it now).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Constant organizational changes and excessive meeting culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very customer centered, and actually bring customers onto the campus for you to meet and talk with. Great way to see and feel the direct impact your work has on other people's lives - how they make a living or a successful business off of using eBay.

Cons

These traits are not unusual in my experience at other companies. It was just extreme at eBay. That said...

Constant org changes at all levels, where you can be sure in two months half the people you are working with will be gone or moved to another group, and key management players also.

Excessive meeting culture means you are literally in physical or virtual conference calls 6-8 hours/day, which means that (if you're not management where attending meetings IS your job) you will have to do your results producing work after hours, on weekends, holidays, and...sadly, during meetings -- where you should be paying attention to what is happening in the meetings. As you can imagine, that also has consequences for the effectiveness of meetings.

Advice to Management

Create or mandate periods of time every day during which meetings are discouraged, so engineers, designers, writers, etc., can spend each day doing non-meeting work.
    Think longer and harder about org changes - make them real, not cosmetic - then implement them and give your plan time to work itself out. Three months is not enough time to see if a true, deep, structural change will work out.

great company and nice people

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

nice people and nice boss

Cons

sometime is there is too much work

Advice to Management

they are good