There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Had a great time interning at eBay

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

opportunities, cultural openness, company's vision and values

Cons

big company. some decisions take time to get implemented

1103 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

Great company, but not great to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Within each department (below senior management) are very tight knit teams and they treat each other like family.

Cons

- Senior Management only cares about saving costs, and will do anything including: cutting pay, giving very little pay promotions with job title promotions, making targets and goals too high so employees don't bonus

- eBay also does not treat tenured employees very well. I have worked at the company for nearly 8 years and I am paid less than new hires I am currently training

- There is no work life balance. Everyday is stressful and its hard to leave it at work, especially when people are emailing you and calling you after you get home.

- Tons of empty promises! Lots of lies!

- If you're going into politics this is a great place to get practice!

Happy employees = better results and bigger bonuses for you. Sacrificing employee satisfaction and making empty promises does the complete opposite. I have seen many assets to this company leave due to the way they are treated. If this practice doesn't change, it will eventually bite turn around and bite you.

Nice place to work, except for one thing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

eBay is going through an interesting transition right now, as it tries to bring the old marketplace site up to modern retail standards. There are a lot of projects and various efforts around the company to improve look, feel, voice and tone, as well as modernize the engineering and UX of the site tools themselves. Challenges make for opportunities, and for those of us who enjoy change, this is a cool place to be. There are a lot of very sharp people here working very hard to make things better.

The company seems to genuinely care about employees, which is refreshing after some of the turns I've seen being taken at other companies in this economy (Netflix, I'm looking at you). Fitness centers, cafeterias, ESPP, decent pay and other programs definitely make a difference as far as feeling valued by the company. Work-life balance is there, and while working from home is usually up to your manager, as a whole the company is open to it. The San Jose Hamilton campus is really pleasant, and the PayPal campus, while trickier to get to, is also very nice. Parking is an issue everywhere, but the company has provided free valet services to help with that.

Cons

The backbiting taking place in some groups is absolutely astonishing. The first time I witnessed it I was floored - and very uncomfortable. It's as if these folks think that this type of behavior is actually an acceptable way of doing business. I've seen reputations destroyed with the flick of the mute button, as a SENIOR MANAGER mutes a conference call, bad-mouths the speaker to a full conference room, and then turns the audio back on. If you EVER get on the wrong side of anyone who has any influence over your work, you will find it very difficult to overcome the negative trash-talk that will instantly take place and propagate all around you - but never to your face. Your manager will base your reviews on hear-say, and you will be destroyed. If this happens to you, you should start looking for another role at another company immediately, because you won't be able to overcome this here.

Hire someone exactly like David Marcus to take over and direct eBay core. I think the back-biting culture might be just too far gone for a turnaround, but you could take a shot at it.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Worked for eBay Inc.? Contribute to the Community!