eBay Inc.

www.ebay.com
  www.ebay.com
There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

tremendous opportunities, if only we would get our heads on straight and choose a visionary plan and leadership

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

For better or worse, eBay is a large company. Even if you start at eBay doing one job, there's tremendous opportunity to more around the company if you are apt and willing. eBay also attacks problems of tremendous scale, unmatched anywhere on the web. How we handle them is sometimes questionable, but there's no doubt that we are the biggest game in town.

Cons

Management is schizophrenic and quarter-driven. Even when we were promised that we were NOT going to be quarter driven, we still see a highly detrimental focus on making the projection for Wall St.

Internally, everything not aligned with the current soup du 'jour is likely to be canceled, paused, downsized or outright ignored. Also there are far too many doers and not enough thinkers hired here. This company is run by people who "have ideas", whether they are well-planned or not.

Settle down. STOP focusing on the near term. Chill out, plan ahead and start treating this company like it's going to be around for 100 years. If you don't treat it that way, then it won't be. If you keep treating it like it will only be around another 3 to 5 years, then Wall St. will assume that too.

1173 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

Ebay needs to get back to what made it great, being a unique force in the online marketplace.

Current Employee - Independent in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Independent in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Creative freedom, flexibility in work hours.

Cons

Too many changes, too often! Makes for major instability and lack of confidence in the company.

Senior Management is clueless, it's time to get some real ebay sellers on the team of advisers before all these changes are made.

Nearly 5 years there - what was I thinking

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay Inc.

Pros

I worked there for nearly 5 years. It was just barely acceptable when I started. It was hopeless when I left. If you're in marketing, you will probably love it. Engineering and Product Management will hate you with a burning passion, but eBay is a marketing company that happens to (be forced to) do tech.

Cons

A super political work environment - I've worked at banks with less political BS. Very top heavy. There is lots of talk about "innovation" and "work life balance", it is all lip service. Innovation does not happen here (not even in the labs or search), work life balance is a joke - I have to tell a story re: WLB - at one of the (very very frequent) organizational all hands meetings, management decided to talk about the "work life balance" initiative, it was a 9am meeting and, shock, I was there - because I was up all night working around a severe bug in the ridiculous V3 code base; so I started nodding off in the meeting - that's irony for you.

in the nominal 40 hour work week, I would spend a minimum of 15 hours in meetings. Every week. Every. Single. Week. And for about 3 weeks every quarter, I would spend over 25 hours a week in meetings.

If for some reason you have to work with the CS teams in SLC, god help you. The single most back-biting group of vermin I've ever seen. Just horrendous.

Any time you make a decision, choose the opposite; you cannot possibly do worse.

To the BOD - fire Donahoe, bring back JJ or Rajiv.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.