There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

tremendous opportunities, if only we would get our heads on straight and choose a visionary plan and leadership

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

For better or worse, eBay is a large company. Even if you start at eBay doing one job, there's tremendous opportunity to more around the company if you are apt and willing. eBay also attacks problems of tremendous scale, unmatched anywhere on the web. How we handle them is sometimes questionable, but there's no doubt that we are the biggest game in town.

Cons

Management is schizophrenic and quarter-driven. Even when we were promised that we were NOT going to be quarter driven, we still see a highly detrimental focus on making the projection for Wall St.

Internally, everything not aligned with the current soup du 'jour is likely to be canceled, paused, downsized or outright ignored. Also there are far too many doers and not enough thinkers hired here. This company is run by people who "have ideas", whether they are well-planned or not.

Advice to Management

Settle down. STOP focusing on the near term. Chill out, plan ahead and start treating this company like it's going to be around for 100 years. If you don't treat it that way, then it won't be. If you keep treating it like it will only be around another 3 to 5 years, then Wall St. will assume that too.

reviews filtered by

ebay - not what it used to be!

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Ebay still has some cache on your resume. If you have been there for a while then there have also been a lot of really smart people that you had a chance to work with that have now gone on to interesting companies. I am constantly hearing about new job opportunities and networking opportunities from former ebay colleagues. Ebay is also centrally located in Campbell where there are not that many other companies. It makes for a very easy commute from the mid-penninsula. Finally, there is always a lot going on at ebay, (although not all productive work). If you are someone who loves to be busy and loves the excitement of the unknown, ebay would be a great place for you!

Cons

Working at ebay is definitely a grind. The company has some really smart people but many of them are more concerned with their own career trajectory and being right, than doing right for the company. There is not a lot of accountability for decisions that are made and as a result, people tend to make rash and dumb decisions on a continual basis. Additionally, the management team has been thinned of the people who push back and have an opinion so you tend to get a lot of people who are just collecting their paychecks rather than making a difference or adding value.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should figure out a way to rid themselves of many of themselves! Get some new ideas and new blood in there and then let them do their jobs.

No Operating Skill at The Top

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Decent pay, a recognized name and bagels on Wednesdays. The company still has some great smart people after the latest cuts.

Cons

Poor leadership at the top and inconsistent strategy. Highly political environment. Strategies and structures change often and there is no understanding of what it might take to operate differently. A large number of consultants working on all kinds of things adds to the politics, strategy shifts and meetings.

Advice to Management

Stop repeating the same "change" statements and figure out what really has to be done to change the system. Stop the powerpoint meetings and let the people actually make some real decisions.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.