There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Get the strategy right! Stop the churn! Go Mobile!!!

Current Employee - Development Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Development Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

cool tech, good people, lots of interesting projects

Cons

high expectations, lots of strategy churn, growing pains as company moves from small to large sized

get your act together and realize that polishing the buttons on a feedback page and making the web commerce experience better is not going to save us for the long term. We need to be number 1 in mobile commerce.

1138 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

Donahoe is single-handedly driving eBay into the ground.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

There used to be many and now there are only a few.

Cons

Constant changes that make absolutely no sense by senior management. Hard to watch a couple of out-of-touch executives run this company into the ground. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion. Unethical business practices, including padding the number of listings to manipulate the numbers for stockholders. Unfair practices with the sellers, who actually put eBay where it is today and thanks to Mr. Donahoe, they are leaving the site in droves to do business with our competitors.

Donahoe prefers to spend billions to buy miscellaneous companies and lay-off thousands of dedicated and qualified employees. What gives?

Fire Donahoe & go back to original business model and what we do best, auctions.

Used to be a good place to work....

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Hmmm, management is good about accommodating time off when needed and....and, that's it.

Cons

eBay is pure chaos every day. Upper management is constantly changing which means regular re-orgs. We're a horizontal org, then a vertical one, and back and forth. We work in centralized teams, then six months later we're decentralized. Employees don't feel confident that the initiative they're working on today will be around next month or even next week. A large portion of dev and qa are outsourced to India and China which makes for a very long work day and employees don't score extra points for doing con calls at 9PM several nights a week as a result. Management does however, point out every misstep and task that was missed, and generally beats you down until you're questioning your own abilities. The work to employee ratio is unrealistic, yet management doesn't recognize that, they only seem to drive home how employees are under-delivering.
    Salaries are about 10% less than other companies. Management is extremely stingy in handing out promotions for anyone under a Director level.

Make a decision and stick with it. Every new Sr. Manager does not need to put their own spin on the organization to shake things up. There is way too much shakin' goin' on.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.