There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.

Get the strategy right! Stop the churn! Go Mobile!!!

Current Employee - Development Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Development Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

cool tech, good people, lots of interesting projects

Cons

high expectations, lots of strategy churn, growing pains as company moves from small to large sized

get your act together and realize that polishing the buttons on a feedback page and making the web commerce experience better is not going to save us for the long term. We need to be number 1 in mobile commerce.

1129 Other Employee Reviews for eBay Inc. (View Most Recent)

Used to be a good place to work....

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

Hmmm, management is good about accommodating time off when needed and....and, that's it.

Cons

eBay is pure chaos every day. Upper management is constantly changing which means regular re-orgs. We're a horizontal org, then a vertical one, and back and forth. We work in centralized teams, then six months later we're decentralized. Employees don't feel confident that the initiative they're working on today will be around next month or even next week. A large portion of dev and qa are outsourced to India and China which makes for a very long work day and employees don't score extra points for doing con calls at 9PM several nights a week as a result. Management does however, point out every misstep and task that was missed, and generally beats you down until you're questioning your own abilities. The work to employee ratio is unrealistic, yet management doesn't recognize that, they only seem to drive home how employees are under-delivering.
    Salaries are about 10% less than other companies. Management is extremely stingy in handing out promotions for anyone under a Director level.

Make a decision and stick with it. Every new Sr. Manager does not need to put their own spin on the organization to shake things up. There is way too much shakin' goin' on.

Good place for a college grad but NOT the faint of heart.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay Inc.

Pros

The constant changes will always keep you on your toe; you cannot be bored. Technically, it is very challenging place for engineer (especially college grads) to keep up with the fast pace and learning curve. This is not a place for slacker for sure :)

There is lots of lateral career movement you can take if you are tired of being in a certain position. I have seen software engineer becomes project manager or product manager. This is very much encouraged by management.

Cons

It can be stressful at time when you have deal with production site issues while working with your current projects. Everything can be very compressed.

None.

There are newer employer reviews for eBay Inc.