There are newer employer reviews for eBay

Get the name on your resume, and then move on.

Former Employee - Seller Vetting/Merchant Fraud in Draper, UT
Former Employee - Seller Vetting/Merchant Fraud in Draper, UT

I worked at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free drinks, casual dress code, recognizable name on your resume.

Cons

Very difficult to get promoted at the Draper office. Odd office politics. Promotions and recognition given on criteria that seemed to have nothing to do with tenure, work competence, or education. Focus on strict productivity requirements, rather than quality or innovation in work. Uneven competence in management.

Advice to Management

Invest in training and retaining good talent. My department was FULL of creative and talented people that had no outlet or opportunity with which to further the business. Time and again great ideas were ignored, and frustrations were allowed to continue to the detriment of the customers and the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Senior management seems to genuinely care about employee welfare

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Project Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Project Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at eBay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people - smart, talented, focused After some hard times, the company is again on a positive trajectory Company tries hard to make employees happy

Cons

There aren't enough resources to get done all that needs to get done - some projects pushed out two years or more The business model of the company is limiting There is a great deal of affection for the "old" eBay that it's going to be hard to change that mindset

Advice to Management

Get feedback from employees, not just VPs and Directors

Poor management

Former Employee - Code Monkey in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Code Monkey in San Jose, CA

I worked at eBay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for management trainees (sucks for developers). Most teams have no work or too much work. Big company. Get to meet all shades of characters.

Cons

In 14 years of IT I have never come across more egotistical management. Managers have no clue what they are talking about and you being a slave have no authority to question them. Top it off with really bad office politics. As one manager from Google once told me they have very little respect for developers with Ebay on their resume. You start each day thinking it could not get any worse and then the "smart" manager just raises the stupidity bar to a whole new level. I can barely control my laughter thinking about what all I have seen and heard. Need proof? Most of the good reviews on Glassdoor are all from managers (this is a management hell hole if you know what I am saying ;) ). This is the first time in my life that I have really felt the urge to write a review. A very well deserved review.

Advice to Management

Fire 80% of clueless managers.