There are newer employer reviews for eMarketer

Strong management team, great business and worklife.

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management team is very strong, and improving. They make tough decisions for the greater good of the business, and are working to improve the company and transform it from a successful midsize company to a successful large company. There are great people working here.

Cons

The pace of change is fast, and employees must be ready for it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Avoid...

I have been working at eMarketer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back dress policy, most colleagues are helpful.

Cons

High churn in sales department, high favoritism, middle management is generally ill equipped, long sales cycles, lots of dissension amongst the ranks.

Advice to Management

Build a sales infrastructure that supports sales reps. Simply hiring sales reps is not a growth strategy, they need leads, support, and achievable quotas. Also, realize that we are post 2008, so marketing and expectations should evolve accordingly.

Account Management Disappointment

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at eMarketer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a strong core of smart and innovative people here. I have close friends from my time at eMarketer. The product is decent and always improving, and clients generally like the data provided. Well-respected brand.

Cons

The senior managers in the Account Management team are some of the worst I've ever worked with (aside from the President and current CEO). It's clear they have never managed people before and have had little/no training. They put no trust in their people, and if you aren't one of their favorites, you'll dread coming to the office. They are fixed in their own ways; if you have suggestions or disagree with their plans, it usually doesn't matter. The micromanagement is insane regardless of your skills, past experience or sometimes even your current sales numbers - your emails will be read and rewritten before sending to the client. They also promise growth opportunities and career development, but there really aren't any long-term goals/opportunities. My managers never once asked me what my goals were or what I might be interested in outside of Account Management. There is also no real HR department, so there is no impartial party to discuss your frustrations or give/receive constructive feedback. When I left, the morale in the office was dismal and most people were very frustrated and unhappy. It was very much an "us vs. them" mentality and I felt like I couldn't get out of there fast enough. A shame since I enjoyed working with my clients as well as working with most of the people there.

Advice to Management

Bring in a real HR generalist/team. Overhaul the account management team entirely - especially the managers. Some people are great at selling and terrible at management. Bring in leaders not bosses. Empower the team!