There are newer employer reviews for eMeter

Hectic, but for a good cause

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at eMeter

Pros

The industry is a little peculiar - heavily regulated utilities that move pretty slow - but reducing global electric/gas/water consumption is a great cause and it's global in scope. The past year has been a good transition to a more focused development roadmap, allowing us to hit our objectives.

Cons

Team is overloaded with work and has been on overdrive for too long.

Do a more realistic resource analysis

25 Other Employee Reviews for eMeter (View Most Recent)

eMeter, and the Smart Grid: Now firing on all cylinders!!!

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at eMeter

Pros

The market is finally heating up for Smart Grid (rather than the mere talk by the government and analysts we've had to endure for years). The execs at eMeter represent a crazy amount of experience/wisdom with respect to the energy industry. The Board has rounded out that experience with the talents of some Engineering, Product, Sales and Marketing sharp-shooters, and I *really* feel we're poised for serious growth.

Cons

2009 was a year of transition for eMeter (and for the Smart Grid, in general). If you've been in the Valley long enough, you've experienced the 'Year of Puberty' each young company must face: the somewhat challenging transition from a small group of heroes to a larger organization with more predictability. We're on the tail end of that transition.

Keep the spirit of the 'start-up' while making the necessary organizational improvements.

Emeter a start up with start up expectations.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at eMeter

Pros

Working with new technology, knowing what you do contributes to less energy being used and therefore is helping the environment

Cons

No raises, bonuses for any overtime or hard work done. I felt that the development team lived in the office at one point.

I wore multiple hats when I worked here. Even when I found ways to save money for the company I was never given a raise or title change to reflect new responsiblities I willing accepted. Everyone was salaried when I worked there and overtime was required and expected without comp time. This is typically of start-ups where as an employee you agree to no longer have a life outside of work.

Management was similar to a teenage clique. By far the worst management I have had in my 20 + years as an employee. The managers had no problem gossiping about people in the office when they were not there to defend themselves.

Try engaging with your employees. Reward them when they do a job well done and help them do the job better when they don't preform well. Being in the office is part of a manager's job. Try being in the office 5 days a week like your employees do.

There are newer employer reviews for eMeter

Worked for eMeter? Contribute to the Community!