Test engineering at edX

I worked at edX (Less than a year)

Pros

High quality free lunch every day
Working with friendly, helpful people. One coworker offered to lend a book about Git.
Good for students to become familiar with a real-world development situation

Cons

As a temporary worker, I didn't have the opportunity to feel a part of the company. For example, there was a weekly company meeting that we didn't attend.
I wasn't familiarized with the entire structure of the edX website which the organization was working on.

Advice to Management

I think it's a good idea to give people a better overview.

edX Response

Oct 21, 2014Manager, HR

At edX we strive to ensure everyone feels welcome and part of the organization. The weekly meetings are open to all edX employees regardless of employment status. We have sent out weekly invites to ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great experience

I worked at edX (More than a year)

Pros

Mission driven org, really smart and talented colleagues.
    Competitive salary
    Genuinely liked the people I worked with
    Challenging projects, amazing networking opportunities
    Kendall Square location
    Free lunch, snacks, etc.-- all the things a software startup offers

Cons

After two years I needed better work/life balance. You will put in the hours.
    Sometime contradictory goals articulated by leadership in different areas.

Advice to Management

Senior management: Stop being so micro-managerial. You have really smart people, give them space for leadership development .

2. Awesome Mission, Troubles with Vision

I have been working at edX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EdX is full of amazing, dedicated, brilliant people who want to change the world. Our mission is fantastic and our opportunity to make a real difference is real. In general, our culture is supportive and our co-workers are inspiring.

Cons

EdX leadership does not always appear to fully support the execution of the organization vision. We say we focus on our learners and members, but make decisions which either do not consider them or actively harm them. Our values, which are fully supported by the employees, are not always embodied by leadership.
    EdX also supports a culture of overwork, praising employees more for their availability at all hours of the day and night (and weekend) as much or more than for their quality of work and dedication.

Advice to Management

You having an amazing team working for you. Treat them with respect, trust them to do their best, and value their opinions.
    Be transparent in your consideration of our values when decisions are made.
    Find ways to invite feedback that allow more constructive feedback to be offered and heard. "Open Door" policies are great, but many individual contributors will have difficulty mentioning true difficulties via an open door.