foursquare
foursquare.com New York, NY 50 to 149 Employees

top startup for engineers

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at foursquare

Pros- extremely talented team, top-tier engineers. 40% from Google with great reputations, all are academically trained computer science graduates
- true engineering and product culture, 60-70% of the 100 employees can code
- constant launches
- cutting edge stack (scala, mongo db, aws, elastic mapreduce) and engineering leadership that believes in using whatever is the best tool for the job
- clear market opportunity (local advertising) with a unique value proposition for businesses
- true innovation in the mobile space
- most fascinating data set (using billions of check-ins to make a personalized recommendation engine for places)
- frequent travel (if you want) between new york and san francisco
- best industry connections and exposure

Cons- perception that the product is simply a 'check-in' game
- misperceptions about engineering structure.
- over emphasis on ceo over talented team (the media's fault, not the company or ceo's though)
- extremely crowded space with lots of "me too" startup companies diluting the brand and concept
- split engineering between san francisco / new york can be awesome, but harder to sync over the time zone difference (otherwise we're in constant communication between campfire, ipad, live portals, etc)

Advice to Senior Managementi'm extremely satisfied with the company management. i feel confident about the product, the vision, and where the larger team is headed, especially compared to friends at competing startups.

Foursquare is an amazing place to work at!

Support (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at foursquare as an intern for less than a year

Pros: -transparent company -welcoming/coffee culture -building a growing, exciting product -a lot of brilliant, amazing people who are… Cons: -tough to get hired internally -sometimes work can get a bit… Advice to Senior Management: keep doing what you're doing! it's incredibly exciting to be… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It was great and learned a ton working there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at foursquare

Pros: The management is great. They have an extremely transparent environment and everyone is willing to hear you out… Cons: At times people can get very involved in their current projects that you can passed by them… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on foursquare.

Worked for foursquare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at foursquare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for foursquare CEO Dennis Crowley . All reviews posted anonymously by foursquare employees.