foursquare

foursquare.com

rare combination of strong technical team and strong social environment

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros+ Very talented team, engineers and non-engineers alike.
+ Fast-moving: deploys 4x a week, frequent releases of new features, emphasis on launching.
+ Really interesting data.
+ Great social environment: employees genuinely like one another, socialize frequently.
+ Regular travel to NY office.
+ Lots of goodwill from users.
+ Big monetization opportunity.
+ Good chance of being the next major, independent consumer tech company (after Google, FB, Twitter).

Cons+ Perks are decent but not as good as at other tech companies.
+ LBS space still being invented, so no succinct mission statement yet. Also means that user growth has to be hard-earned through constant improvement. Can't just sit back and count signups. On the plus side- users we work hard to earn are users we're more likely to keep.
+ Not as trendy as other startups. The backlash and snark have already begun.

Advice to Senior Management+ Keep the high hiring bar on both ICs and management, don't succumb to the temptation to grow quickly at the expense of quality.
+Keep articulating the vision, internally and externally, as value proposition of LBS space is not always clear outside the tech industry early-adopter crowd.

top startup for engineers

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at foursquare

Pros: - extremely talented team, top-tier engineers. 40% from Google with great reputations, all are academically trained computer science graduates - true engineering and product culture, 60-70%… Cons: - perception that the product is simply a 'check-in' game - misperceptions about engineering structure. - over emphasis on ceo over talented team (the media's fault,… Advice to Senior Management: i'm extremely satisfied with the company management. i feel confident about the product, the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Foursquare is an amazing place to work at!

Support (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at foursquare as an intern for less than a year

Pros: -transparent company -welcoming/coffee culture -building a growing, exciting product -a lot of brilliant, amazing people who are… Cons: -tough to get hired internally -sometimes work can get a bit… Advice to Senior Management: keep doing what you're doing! it's incredibly exciting to be… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on foursquare.

Worked for foursquare? Contribute to the Community!