There are newer employer reviews for freightquote.com

Meh

Current Employee - Freight Broker  in  Lenexa, KS
Current Employee - Freight Broker in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at freightquote.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to make a very good living. Good starting salary and benefits are competitive with any other medium to large sized company in Kansas City. Mostly young people and I made some good friends at Freightquote. The on the job training is great, and the knowledge acquired can be applied to many other facets of the shipping industry

Cons

This is micro management city, and to the higher ups it's all a game of numbers. You have to call the same people week after week regardless of whether or not they have something to ship. If you don't call a certain account, management can see that and will make sure the account is called. The best way to do this is to call and let it ring, then hang up. It sounds childish but it's the only way to "call" someone multiple times within a week with out pissing them off. Again it's a game of numbers to them. Somewhere in corporate analytics there was probably a slight correlation found between number of calls and revenue, and thus they decided to base their entire business model off that. Also, you're entire sales team can see your daily/monthly numbers (Number of calls, talk time, sales margin). I can understand why they do this (to encourage competition) but it also makes the job more stressful.

Starting out in this job is almost entirely a crap shoot of luck. You are given "Dormant" accounts that haven't shipped with FQ in over 90 days, and they are very hit or miss. Most of them had a problem with FQ in the past because an LTL shipment got screwed up or adjusted for more $$$ or something. So you have to dig through all that crap and listen to old customers yell at you for something you have no idea what they're talking about. Basically, you are expected to clean up someone else's mess from a while back. Management tries and spins this as "You have to find out why they stopped shipping with us!". An of course you're expected to call these account once a week or so, even if they scream at you every time.

Some dormants are a gold mine, but only a handful of people actually get a dormant that will help them meet their quota month after month. The rest are only good for a couple shipments per quarter.

The rest of your accounts come in the form of "Leads". Basically you are cold calling to establish your own customer base. I don't have a problem with this other than the fact that they weren't very honest about this up front, plus most of the leads are fax machines or bad contact information. Many of them are Wal Marts, Lowe's, or Auto Zones. Good luck taking care of their shipping, because chances are they have someone better than a punk broker in Lenexa.

Aside from all the above stuff, the two things that really turned me away from Freighquote are that there is no opportunity for advancement and (in my opinion) no job security. Let me explore both separately:

No Opportunity for Advancement: At first, in training, management tells you that there is TONS! of room for advancement within FQ. Many different career paths!....But this is only partially true. You can go into "Logistics" or "Compliance" or "Customer Service" or something else, but those are all lateral moves AT BEST. If you are an established rep and chose to go into one of these other departments than you will more than likely make less money after commission. And besides, you're still sitting in front of a screen with a headset. Not exactly "moving on up". Good luck even applying for a job outside sales though. It's basically tapping out, and since you probably don't get the job than management will view you as being weak.

No Job Security: In July of 2012 FQ thought it would be a wonderful idea to hire 20+ new sales reps every month for an entire year. This is the "Freight Broker Trainee" program. Would you feel secure if you knew there were twenty more of you coming in the next month? I sure didn't. And good luck getting a job with another department when there are so many people in sales trying to get out. Brokers are a dime a dozen, and if they aren't making the calls and they aren't making the sales than they can kiss they're ass goodbye. Of course this never happened in the Freight Broker Trainee program since everyone knows everyone and is on the same floor, but once everyone gets broken down into different sales "teams" and is in different parts of the new building I suspect more people will get axed than the previous year.

Plus, imagine if the economy were to tank, which is a legitimate possibility. Bad economy = No freight = no sales. No sales = no job.

Freightquote is a good company, and I know what I wrote above is just the nature of the 3PL business and the shipping industry as a whole. It's such a competitive market that in order to stay in business you have to play the numbers game like FQ. Most of the people I met working there are doing well. Some are doing very well and making good commission. FQ taught me a lot about the shipping industry, which in my current industry is valuable information, but it also taught me more about myself. I learned that i suck at sales and that this type of job is not for me. FQ is better with out me and I'm better with out FQ.

94 Other Employee Reviews for freightquote.com (View Most Recent)

Terrible commission plan

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at freightquote.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and fun culture

Cons

commission plan changes multiple times a year and always for the worse. Latest example is this month setting your bonus/accelerator targets to your last month total gm. this means no bonus or accelerators until you sell above what you did the previous month. Unless you achieve your personal best month after month you will not make any bonus money. this has resulted in the average tenured sales rep loses over $1500 per month. This is not a company that rewards good sales people.....the m.o. is to see how much they can supress the sales persons earnings until they decide to quit...then mgmt will offer a short term stop gap and then months later, rinse and repeat.

pay your people and encourage good sales people to join company instead of hiring bottom feeders. Job should be sold as a career and paid accordingly, now it is just a call center with call center pay and the majority of the sales force are first time sales people.....also within last year promoted most of customer service and support people to sales and never filled their old positions.....there is very little support for you clients at FQ and you are thanked by covering all aspects of your book by getting paid a measely 9% on LTL business and 10-12% on fill truckload business. These policies are atrocious and short sided and need to change if this company ever wants to become something great. If not, you will remain a revolving door of disgruntled and underpaid sales people

Poor Management

Current Employee - Freight Broker  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Freight Broker in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at freightquote.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people that work here.

Cons

Why is the company's philosophy to hand accounts to sales reps who cannot build their own books? What other company can you name that gives accounts to sales reps who are failing to grow business on their own? They are getting a raise and job security even though their performance is poor. This stupid philosophy has cost the company to lose thousands of customers over the last 5 years because the under performing rep who inherits the accounts ends up screwing the account up and the client goes elsewhere.

Common sense is to give accounts to veteran reps who know how to manage and grow the business. Reward loyal and long term employees not new under performing lazy one's. What professional sports franchise gives raises and job security to players who can't cut it? This philosophy has destroyed morale and created massive turn over. The upper management needs to go!!!! This is just ONE issue of many. The company is crumbling under its own stupidity.

There are newer employer reviews for freightquote.com

Worked for freightquote.com? Contribute to the Community!