hhgregg

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

Unfair work practices

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were experienced and knowledgeable.

Cons

Poor Management
Awful employee pay model
Long hours punctuated by free(to hhgregg) labor

The company is commission based only, despite up to 12 hours weekly you must be dedicated to improving the store, with no compensation. Utterly ridiculous. 2 hours before store opens to set up the place up. (no customers so no pay), 2 hours post close to clean the place (no
customers no pay) multiply this by 3 or 4 times a week, and you are donating 12 hours+, rarely less to HHgregg for free. I have a family to feed, can't donate 12 hours of my time so store is pretty and equipment is ready for sale. No problem working the 60 hours a week, but not when 12 hours of it are a donation. Utterly absurd pay model. Commissions are non-existent unless you sell a very poorly reviewed, service plan, that eventually comes back and haunts you in the form of dissatisfied customers. Delivery handled by outside agent who either messes up the shipment, or because they are so ill handled, just botch things up. Never enough staff in warehouse, you end up having to get your own product from the back and waste more of your un-payed time. Almost all of the experienced staff left within the first 4 months of employment. Replaced by inexperienced job seekers willing to take any abuse doled out. Pay model favors the company completely, with their goal to get as much free from their employees as possible.

If your plan is to work employees for no pay, then I have no advice, because all benefits are to the firm, with none to employee. On the other hand if you want loyal hard working employee base, change the pay model

514 Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg (View Most Recent)

WORST JOB I'VE EVER HAD

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount which is "Landed Cost". And your co-workers, who are like family, although everyone is looking for a new career....

Cons

I've have over 20 years of retail management and sales expericance, and hhgregg by for is the absolute worst company I've worked for. As a sales associate you will work a min of 45+ hours / week, and if your lucky get 4 ups a day. Management is not consistent they are all bark but no bite. The culture in the store is horrible, no one wants to work there, and this all stems from the store general manager. He still has yet to realize the stores negativity all comes from him.

Hhgregg Downers Grove is currently hiring.... But I would not recommend this job to my worst enemy.

Don't work sales people 45+ hours/week (during the holidays this is fine, but not during the summer).

HH Gregg was an excellent commission based sales job in retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

HH Gregg offered good commission for electronics sales when I was there. They has a great President's club program and they always carried great products to sell. Several times as a top sales associate I was given the opportunity to travel to other cities and help open and sell at new store grand openings. This was always a very profitable opportunity.

Cons

Because HH Gregg is a retail electronics store you will have to work on almost all weekends, Holidays and you will put in some long hours during most weeks. When the company decided to reset the department you are often asked to do this with no compensation for it since you are a comission based sales associate. There were many times that I created the reset myself to ensure that we had the best set up to sell the products.

The management at HH Gregg often will come down hard on the sales associates about selling the extended service plans. They also had a tendency to micro-manage the sales associates to the point of interferring with their sales to try and make sure that they sell the extended service plans. This would often backfire on them.

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg