Unfair work practices

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Home Theater Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers were experienced and knowledgeable.

Cons

Poor Management
Awful employee pay model
Long hours punctuated by free(to hhgregg) labor

The company is commission based only, despite up to 12 hours weekly you must be dedicated to improving the store, with no compensation. Utterly ridiculous. 2 hours before store opens to set up the place up. (no customers so no pay), 2 hours post close to clean the place (no
customers no pay) multiply this by 3 or 4 times a week, and you are donating 12 hours+, rarely less to HHgregg for free. I have a family to feed, can't donate 12 hours of my time so store is pretty and equipment is ready for sale. No problem working the 60 hours a week, but not when 12 hours of it are a donation. Utterly absurd pay model. Commissions are non-existent unless you sell a very poorly reviewed, service plan, that eventually comes back and haunts you in the form of dissatisfied customers. Delivery handled by outside agent who either messes up the shipment, or because they are so ill handled, just botch things up. Never enough staff in warehouse, you end up having to get your own product from the back and waste more of your un-payed time. Almost all of the experienced staff left within the first 4 months of employment. Replaced by inexperienced job seekers willing to take any abuse doled out. Pay model favors the company completely, with their goal to get as much free from their employees as possible.

If your plan is to work employees for no pay, then I have no advice, because all benefits are to the firm, with none to employee. On the other hand if you want loyal hard working employee base, change the pay model

Other Reviews for hhgregg

Its nice work if you can get it

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

getting to help people find their right TV or appliance and know they will enjoy them without worry.

Cons

Long hours, standing all day, sometimes overly cut throat or intrusive sales people, lack of commitment or community from some sales people.

Pull more from inside to fill management slots, getting people with experience from competitors can ease a little bit of training but there is a reason we are doing better that the other guys and bringing in people who do things 'their' way may not pan out.

HH Gregg was an excellent commission based sales job in retail

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at hhgregg full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

HH Gregg offered good commission for electronics sales when I was there. They has a great President's club program and they always carried great products to sell. Several times as a top sales associate I was given the opportunity to travel to other cities and help open and sell at new store grand openings. This was always a very profitable opportunity.

Cons

Because HH Gregg is a retail electronics store you will have to work on almost all weekends, Holidays and you will put in some long hours during most weeks. When the company decided to reset the department you are often asked to do this with no compensation for it since you are a comission based sales associate. There were many times that I created the reset myself to ensure that we had the best set up to sell the products.

The management at HH Gregg often will come down hard on the sales associates about selling the extended service plans. They also had a tendency to micro-manage the sales associates to the point of interferring with their sales to try and make sure that they sell the extended service plans. This would often backfire on them.

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!