hhgregg
www.hhgregg.com Indianapolis, IN 5000+ Employees

Solid company, but work/life balance very poor

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

ProsIn today's economy, it is rare to find a company that is privately owned, profitable, and growing. HH Gregg is really unique in that way.

A small percentage of our sales staff is making great commissions.

Our local store management is great -- helpful, usually very kind, responsive to customers, and truly friendly.

I've lucked out with a better schedule than many people -- several times I've had two or three consecutive days off.

Relatively pleasant place to work, colleagues are laid-back and easy to talk with, we care about each other.

Most of your day you're unsupervised -- its the opposite of micromanagement -- because the managers are too busy putting out fires -- they get no rest whatsoever, and don't have any time to pay attention to what's going on, on the sales floor.

You're treated very well during training.

You are treated like an adult, and with respect.

Great discounts on product, if you make enough commissions to buy anything.

For the most part, HHG seems like an ethical company to work for. They are very communicative about their policies and they provide you with phone numbers to call if you witness a policy violation. HHG also donated to Ball State University for an academic center focusing on Sales.

If you are a consumer, the prices can't be beat, and generally everyone on our staff goes above-and-beyond to give the customer a good experience -- which you can feel proud of -- although sometimes the issues that arise are frustrating and beyond our control.

ConsThe hours are crazy and are completely at the will of the corporate office. You might have a week with two or three twelve-hour days.... and have opening shift the day after a closing shift.

Your feet will hurt. Invest in good shoes or supportive insoles. The floors are tile/concrete and you aren't allowed to sit down while you're on the sales floor.

Every major transaction takes a lot of time -- outdated POS system and complicated Verizon system, plus lots of hiccups as you negotiate with your customer, check stock, negotiate price with your manager, explain PSP, then get signatures, then input information, then sort out delivery, sometimes have to get on the phone with GE capital -- sometimes to close a deal will take an hour or more.

Training is thorough but doesn't cover what you need to know to answer customer questions or complete transactions properly. There seems to be an endless list of institutional knowledge and rules that only longtime managers know.

You'll be working for managers who are very stressed and strapped for time. HHG places only 3 managers in each store. As a contrast, major clothing retailers in the mall sometimes have 5-6 managers for a much smaller, lower margin operation. I feel sorry for the managers. They often work open-to-close, and they're in the store on their day off.

I would not ever want to be a manager with this company for the above reasons.

If its a slow week, your paycheck will not depend on your skills or your customer service, but instead on the budget of the customers you happen to get. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

There is no safety net. Although it seems like you will be able to retain your job even if you have a few bad weeks, you have to sign policies stating that you will lose your job or owe the company money if you don't consistently make commission that exceeds your draw.

The draw policy doesn't change even when its beyond your control (low store traffic, location, competition.) This is intimidating and can be very demoralizing. You may spend a lot of time comforting each other because your colleagues are worried about being fired or not being able to pay their bills. These conversations happen almost every day.

A lot of Southern influence because that was where the company first expanded -- I am not convinced the company understands the more progressive population in the midwest and northeast.

The company seems to really not understand the younger generation of workers or customers.

The uniform is extremely dated and presents a very conservative image. (You also have to pay for your uniform.) There is no individuality allowed - you wear the same thing every day, unless you are a manager.

Also, the company seems to not understand work/life balance at all, which is a major desire/need that Generation X and Generation Y looks for in an employer. You work between 38 and 50 hours a week depending on the needs of the store and you don't have much of a say in your schedule.

You will work open-to-close every Saturday, and usually have to be there at least an hour early for a mandatory training. Instead of scheduling your training on a quiet weekday, they schedule it to make your Saturday even longer and more tiring.

The products are appealing to all ages, but because the company does not stock video games, movies, or music, they're losing a large part of their younger customer base to Best Buy.

All the marketing for our store has been traditional -- newspaper inserts, commercials during the local TV news, and adult contemporary radio stations. HHG seems to be blind to the buying power and interests of anyone under 35, and completely ignorant of Facebook and other modern social marketing tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your systems from an employee's point of view and a customer's point of view. Get up to speed on how progressive companies are handling scheduling. Provide a base pay (safety net) for sales staff so that morale can be steady and so that staff can be rewarded for customer service (even if all the customer wants is a $20 CD player.) Learn about Generation Y and the Millenials and what they look for as customers and as employees. Update and get away from the conservative image.

Nothing more than a retail position

Electronic Sales and Appliance Sales (Current Employee)
Catonsville, MD

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros: - Great employee discounts -A lot of freedom and power to… Cons: -Employee to customer ratio is awful -Don't reward for hard sales… Advice to Senior Management: Improve scheduling, better gauge how many customers are coming in a given day and schedule… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It's a job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros: If you want full time employment it's there for the taking, and benefits kick in very quickly. Management helps out a lot with sales… Cons: Hours are entirely awful, especially in the middle of the summer. Most of the day is spent standing around waiting to have a customer… Advice to Senior Management: Slow down with your expansion, and keep to your older philosophies that worked and allowed you to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on hhgregg.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at hhgregg reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for hhgregg CEO Dennis L. May. All reviews posted anonymously by hhgregg employees.