There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

A Bland and Uncreative Place to Work

Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I never used it but heard the employee discount was good. Other than that, occasionally you got to see or meet professional athletes, either from walk-ins or at special events. If you're a social person and like to be around people and love to talk it up, this company may have a place for you. Some of the salespeople earned good checks, but they've been doing it for 10 or 15 years.

Cons

Let me start out by saying I'm not trying to be negative, and this company has good potential to be great -- if only they were more creative and willing to make changes. In their view, and rightly so, the stores have done well, especially when other competitors like Best Buy or Circuit City, have been hurting financially.

First and foremost, it is a "commissioned-based" salary for its salespeople. This needs to go away -- especially for those stores that pack the floor with way too many salespeople. True, you do get paid minimum wage, but only as a loan. By law, a retailer has to pay its employees minimum wage. But here's the work-around: If you don't earn in commissions more than that, you'll end up paying it back from the draw on your next commissions. The way the store is set up, the products they sell have low profit margin, and you only earn 1 percent from the volume. They constantly run deals, and customers who come in seemingly expect your to knock down the price even more. They can haggle you for hours and give you the run-around by making your check prices. So there's no money in it except ... selling the warranty on the products. But to get to the big money in warrant you have to be consistently over 15% of warranty sold every month. It is not that easy.

The company would be better if they paid its employees a flat salary of, say: $25K per year and then 10 percent of all warranty sales. That's it. Get away from 100% commission-based. They would retain more of its employees, and they would be happier. Happier employees, without the constant worry if they will have a good paycheck, will be better employees, in my opinion.

Other cons:
A). They've trimmed their customer service department by switching over some of the responsibilities to the salespeople. Salespeople have to ring up every order, except during Black Friday events and super-busy holidays. The salespeople are not paid hourly so this helps with the store maximizing their profits with cheap labor, so the store managers can earn bigger bonuses.
B). An arduous POS system that takes away your time from potential sales. This needs to be improved, upgraded.
C). Credit applications that can take up to an hour or longer to go through with the customer. You also get numerous phone calls related to credit apps and past orders.
D). Bland outfits. Red shirts and black slacks everyday. No exceptions. Note: customers don't like it. I don't know how many have told me all they see is a "sea" of red shirts and it makes them turn away. Better idea: Black shirts with tan khakis. Give employees the option to wear that.

Advice to Management

1. Change up the apparel. Black shirts, tan pants.
2. Two options for salary: A). $25(k) base, 10 percent on the warranty. B). Current commission structure.
3. Reward and encourage your employees more. Do more fun things.
4. Better training for new salespeople.

reviews filtered by

Hard workers skipped over

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Aurora, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discount program is great.

Cons

The company propaganda states hhgregg loves to promote from within and they support employees. This is not true. I was passed over for a promotion because I was too valuable in the job I currently perform. I have been with the company for 16 months and it is rare to be able to work a full 40 hour week, even after all this time. Management keeps saying to hold on and it will get better. How long does a person have to wait? The benefits are horribly expensive. I am unable to insure my family and still have any take home pay. The turnover of warehouse staff is unbelievably high. There is no desire by management to actively try to keep current employees. The attitude of don't let the door hit you is horrible. My manager leaves early every day because he doesn't want to be there and there is no accountability for his spotty attendance. He constantly changes his schedule on a whim because something came up at home and leaves others to do his work and pick up the slack. He makes the schedule and always schedules himself off every Friday and Saturday night along with every holiday. Every other manager, supervisor, and lead has to use a formal request process to have any hope of getting a weekend off. Any hourly employees leaving early, arriving late, or missing even one day of work due to illness or emergency is an automatic detriment to your employee record. The double standard wears thin pretty quickly and causes resentment among the management staff and other employees.

Advice to Management

Stick by your mission statement and promote good employees. You will just end up losing employees if you don't take care of them.

Solid company, but work/life balance very poor

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In today's economy, it is rare to find a company that is privately owned, profitable, and growing. HH Gregg is really unique in that way.

A small percentage of our sales staff is making great commissions.

Our local store management is great -- helpful, usually very kind, responsive to customers, and truly friendly.

I've lucked out with a better schedule than many people -- several times I've had two or three consecutive days off.

Relatively pleasant place to work, colleagues are laid-back and easy to talk with, we care about each other.

Most of your day you're unsupervised -- its the opposite of micromanagement -- because the managers are too busy putting out fires -- they get no rest whatsoever, and don't have any time to pay attention to what's going on, on the sales floor.

You're treated very well during training.

You are treated like an adult, and with respect.

Great discounts on product, if you make enough commissions to buy anything.

For the most part, HHG seems like an ethical company to work for. They are very communicative about their policies and they provide you with phone numbers to call if you witness a policy violation. HHG also donated to Ball State University for an academic center focusing on Sales.

If you are a consumer, the prices can't be beat, and generally everyone on our staff goes above-and-beyond to give the customer a good experience -- which you can feel proud of -- although sometimes the issues that arise are frustrating and beyond our control.

Cons

The hours are crazy and are completely at the will of the corporate office. You might have a week with two or three twelve-hour days.... and have opening shift the day after a closing shift.

Your feet will hurt. Invest in good shoes or supportive insoles. The floors are tile/concrete and you aren't allowed to sit down while you're on the sales floor.

Every major transaction takes a lot of time -- outdated POS system and complicated Verizon system, plus lots of hiccups as you negotiate with your customer, check stock, negotiate price with your manager, explain PSP, then get signatures, then input information, then sort out delivery, sometimes have to get on the phone with GE capital -- sometimes to close a deal will take an hour or more.

Training is thorough but doesn't cover what you need to know to answer customer questions or complete transactions properly. There seems to be an endless list of institutional knowledge and rules that only longtime managers know.

You'll be working for managers who are very stressed and strapped for time. HHG places only 3 managers in each store. As a contrast, major clothing retailers in the mall sometimes have 5-6 managers for a much smaller, lower margin operation. I feel sorry for the managers. They often work open-to-close, and they're in the store on their day off.

I would not ever want to be a manager with this company for the above reasons.

If its a slow week, your paycheck will not depend on your skills or your customer service, but instead on the budget of the customers you happen to get. You can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

There is no safety net. Although it seems like you will be able to retain your job even if you have a few bad weeks, you have to sign policies stating that you will lose your job or owe the company money if you don't consistently make commission that exceeds your draw.

The draw policy doesn't change even when its beyond your control (low store traffic, location, competition.) This is intimidating and can be very demoralizing. You may spend a lot of time comforting each other because your colleagues are worried about being fired or not being able to pay their bills. These conversations happen almost every day.

A lot of Southern influence because that was where the company first expanded -- I am not convinced the company understands the more progressive population in the midwest and northeast.

The company seems to really not understand the younger generation of workers or customers.

The uniform is extremely dated and presents a very conservative image. (You also have to pay for your uniform.) There is no individuality allowed - you wear the same thing every day, unless you are a manager.

Also, the company seems to not understand work/life balance at all, which is a major desire/need that Generation X and Generation Y looks for in an employer. You work between 38 and 50 hours a week depending on the needs of the store and you don't have much of a say in your schedule.

You will work open-to-close every Saturday, and usually have to be there at least an hour early for a mandatory training. Instead of scheduling your training on a quiet weekday, they schedule it to make your Saturday even longer and more tiring.

The products are appealing to all ages, but because the company does not stock video games, movies, or music, they're losing a large part of their younger customer base to Best Buy.

All the marketing for our store has been traditional -- newspaper inserts, commercials during the local TV news, and adult contemporary radio stations. HHG seems to be blind to the buying power and interests of anyone under 35, and completely ignorant of Facebook and other modern social marketing tools.

Advice to Management

Rethink your systems from an employee's point of view and a customer's point of view. Get up to speed on how progressive companies are handling scheduling. Provide a base pay (safety net) for sales staff so that morale can be steady and so that staff can be rewarded for customer service (even if all the customer wants is a $20 CD player.) Learn about Generation Y and the Millenials and what they look for as customers and as employees. Update and get away from the conservative image.

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg