Overworked and poor pay and benefits

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Downers Grove, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are not required to do lot of manual labor.

Cons

Where do i start. The management team has no consistantcey. One week you follow a set of rules the next week its completely different. Certain associates get sent home for coming into work several minutes late, While others can not call in for days and suffer no consequences. You will be required to do mandatory UNPAID training in uniform every two months far from the location of the store you work at. Good luck even getting reimbursed for gas mileage. Pay is okay if you are lucky enouph to have customers. Worse job I have ever worked. Long days, working 45 hrs a week for little pay. Oh ya the health benefits are a joke too!!!!

Be more proactive. Stay consistant with each employee. No special treatment. Promote from within not off the streets.

Other Reviews for hhgregg

A Bland and Uncreative Place to Work

Former Employee - Appliance Sales  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

I never used it but heard the employee discount was good. Other than that, occasionally you got to see or meet professional athletes, either from walk-ins or at special events. If you're a social person and like to be around people and love to talk it up, this company may have a place for you. Some of the salespeople earned good checks, but they've been doing it for 10 or 15 years.

Cons

Let me start out by saying I'm not trying to be negative, and this company has good potential to be great -- if only they were more creative and willing to make changes. In their view, and rightly so, the stores have done well, especially when other competitors like Best Buy or Circuit City, have been hurting financially.

First and foremost, it is a "commissioned-based" salary for its salespeople. This needs to go away -- especially for those stores that pack the floor with way too many salespeople. True, you do get paid minimum wage, but only as a loan. By law, a retailer has to pay its employees minimum wage. But here's the work-around: If you don't earn in commissions more than that, you'll end up paying it back from the draw on your next commissions. The way the store is set up, the products they sell have low profit margin, and you only earn 1 percent from the volume. They constantly run deals, and customers who come in seemingly expect your to knock down the price even more. They can haggle you for hours and give you the run-around by making your check prices. So there's no money in it except ... selling the warranty on the products. But to get to the big money in warrant you have to be consistently over 15% of warranty sold every month. It is not that easy.

The company would be better if they paid its employees a flat salary of, say: $25K per year and then 10 percent of all warranty sales. That's it. Get away from 100% commission-based. They would retain more of its employees, and they would be happier. Happier employees, without the constant worry if they will have a good paycheck, will be better employees, in my opinion.

Other cons:
    A). They've trimmed their customer service department by switching over some of the responsibilities to the salespeople. Salespeople have to ring up every order, except during Black Friday events and super-busy holidays. The salespeople are not paid hourly so this helps with the store maximizing their profits with cheap labor, so the store managers can earn bigger bonuses.
    B). An arduous POS system that takes away your time from potential sales. This needs to be improved, upgraded.
    C). Credit applications that can take up to an hour or longer to go through with the customer. You also get numerous phone calls related to credit apps and past orders.
    D). Bland outfits. Red shirts and black slacks everyday. No exceptions. Note: customers don't like it. I don't know how many have told me all they see is a "sea" of red shirts and it makes them turn away. Better idea: Black shirts with tan khakis. Give employees the option to wear that.

1. Change up the apparel. Black shirts, tan pants.
    2. Two options for salary: A). $25(k) base, 10 percent on the warranty. B). Current commission structure.
    3. Reward and encourage your employees more. Do more fun things.
    4. Better training for new salespeople.

Hard workers skipped over

Current Employee - Warehouse Lead  in  Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Lead in Aurora, IL

I have been working at hhgregg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount program is great.

Cons

The company propaganda states hhgregg loves to promote from within and they support employees. This is not true. I was passed over for a promotion because I was too valuable in the job I currently perform. I have been with the company for 16 months and it is rare to be able to work a full 40 hour week, even after all this time. Management keeps saying to hold on and it will get better. How long does a person have to wait? The benefits are horribly expensive. I am unable to insure my family and still have any take home pay. The turnover of warehouse staff is unbelievably high. There is no desire by management to actively try to keep current employees. The attitude of don't let the door hit you is horrible. My manager leaves early every day because he doesn't want to be there and there is no accountability for his spotty attendance. He constantly changes his schedule on a whim because something came up at home and leaves others to do his work and pick up the slack. He makes the schedule and always schedules himself off every Friday and Saturday night along with every holiday. Every other manager, supervisor, and lead has to use a formal request process to have any hope of getting a weekend off. Any hourly employees leaving early, arriving late, or missing even one day of work due to illness or emergency is an automatic detriment to your employee record. The double standard wears thin pretty quickly and causes resentment among the management staff and other employees.

Stick by your mission statement and promote good employees. You will just end up losing employees if you don't take care of them.

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg.

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!