There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

Great place to work.

I have been working at hhgregg

Pros

Pay great commission on product you sale.

Cons

Don't have too many cooperate positions that are beneficial to a career.

463 Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg (View Most Recent)

Don't care about your safety - read for details.

Former Employee - Electronics Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales Specialist

I worked at hhgregg full-time for less than a year

Pros

HHGregg isn't all bad. It's a fairly interesting job because I had the opportunity to learn about the newest electronics and go to expos. During the slow times of the year there's nothing else to do, so everyone (including managers) will all watch a football game or a movie. Also, there is an awesome employee discount that is available after you work there for three months. You get an hour lunch break and I made a lot of friends while I was there. No manual labor, there are warehouse associates who do that for you.

Cons

And...that's it. I worked as an electronics sales specialist, which is strange because I worked in appliances at Home Depot for two years. You would think they would put me on the appliances side, but I assumed that I would receive some product training since I told my managers I didn't know much about electronics. I never got any training besides basic things like using the register. Of course, it's difficult to sell things when you don't know what you're talking about, so I didn't do well.

As a sales specialist, you will work on commission vs. draw. Look at the other reviews for more info on that. It actually has a negative effect on customer service because all anyone cares about is making money. If you work overtime then ALL of your hours are time-and-a-half. My manager promised me that I shouldn't worry about going into draw, but it happens to almost everyone. If you are laidback, this is NOT the job for you. This is a very aggressive, cut-throat job and only the backstabbers survive. Other sales associates stole sales from me and it very difficult to keep track of your sales in the first place. Good luck trying to sell anything - customers are more careful with their money, comparing prices, and looking for a discount at every opportunity. Unless you can sell overpriced warranties or accessories the customer doesn't need, you won't last long.Also, HHGregg does not care about your safety. When you go to a different city for training, you are told to clock out (to avoid overtime). So you don't get paid for training, and if you get injured HHGregg isn't liable for you.

Also, if you value work-life balance, go elsewhere. I took this job thinking I would work 40 hours a week, maybe a little more at times. During holiday season I worked 55-60 hours a week and barely made minimum wage - which means, technically, I still went into draw since I need to make $11.50 an hour when I worked overtime. The worst part is that we are "supposed" to have Thanksgiving and Christmas off, but we opened at 10pm on Thanksgiving this year. It's depressing to leave my family for a thankless job. I worked from 9:30pm to 3am, got a five-hour break to sleep FOUR hours, and then work 8am to 7pm. I worked almost 18 hours with NO lunch breaks - we got yelled at if we sat in the break room for more than five minutes. Yeah, it was busy, but we still need to eat!

If you're still reading this at this point, you haven't even heard the worst part. I am planning on calling HR about this.

Also, the warehouse is terrible. Everyone climbs up the shelves to grab something really high, rather than using a ladder. One of my coworkers got hurt because a warehouse associate climbed up to grab a soundbar and accidentally dropped it on my coworker. My coworker already has had many back surgeries and the impact of the soundbar hurt him badly. He could barely walk and has in immense pain. The managers told him to WALK to the manager's car and they would drive him to a walk-in clinic. NO ambulance. When they got to the walk-in clinic, they told my manager he should have taken my coworker to the hospital. Just two days after the accident, my coworker had to come back and work because the managers told he would get fired if he didn't work. My coworker came in with a cast and a walking cane, and doctor's note saying that he can't stand for more than 15 minutes every hour. Management didn't care and made him work anyway.

And if you're wondering, no one in management or in the warehouse was punished for this carelessness. I am sickened by how twisted this company is.

This company is on the same path as Circuit City and Best Buy. Most people shop online now, where they can't be hassled by aggressive, pushy salesmen.

Sales

I have been working at hhgregg full-time

Pros

Can change your life for the better income wise if you have all ways work a hourly job.

Cons

Long hours nights and weekends

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

Worked for hhgregg? Contribute to the Community!