There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

Unless you need the money and can not find a job somewhere else do not work here.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate
Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at hhgregg (more than a year)

Pros

Working with my fellow employees. I didn't mind the majority of the work assigned to me.

Cons

Management. I worked 2 1/2 years at the same store and went through 3 General managers. The 4th and current GM was just as bad or worse then the rest. The best manager there wasn't even a manager yet. He was a Manager in Training.

Salespeople. Most of the salespeople were very nice and I did enjoy their company but they would not always do their jobs and Warehouse and Cashiers would end up doing it. If you had good managers that would not happen.

Cashiers. Again fun to work with but did not have enough of them so when they went on lunch warehouse would fill in for them. Since we were not fully trained on how to handle those situations it was a problem. If there was a problem we would have to fend for ourselves and management would not help us.

All in all it came down to poor management. The last thing I will say is if Managers from your store, Regional Managers, or District Managers promise you a reward, pay raise, etc. make sure you ask them every week what the status is of the promised reward, pay raise, etc. If you do not then you will most likely not see it for quite sometime.

If I were to sit down and really think about all the things that happened then this review would be a lot longer.

Advice to Management

Take into account what your employees are saying.
If you say you are going to do something for an employee then do it right away because if you do not then you will forget and it will never happen again.

reviews filtered by

Upper management was awful

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees were good to work with but a few would tell a customer anything (true or not) to make a sale.

Cons

Management, customer service and dishonest sales personnel. Many items such as cameras and camcorders did not work which made it hard to demonstrate to a customer. The good members of management would not stay because they were treated poorly by general manager. Employees were praised for being dishonest to customers in order to sell the extended warranty plan. When angry customers would come into the store, GM would disappear into the warehouse in order to avoid customer. The customer service representatives were forced to take a lot of abuse from customers without any support from management. The sales staff had no respect for the General Manager or Regional Manager. Too much emphasis on cell phones. All employees were expected to sell phones while very few were trained on how to activate the product. Customers viewed the store as a discount store and shopped there to get a cheap price on the lowest quaility items in the store which have no commission value. It is not viewed as a high end store and the store is located in an area that will not appeal to most people.

Advice to Management

Unless you change your strategy soon, you will not be around for very long. You are tring to carry too wide of a variety of products and not training the sales staff on the items. You have become a higher prices Sam's club and as many manufacturers are going with a universal price plan and no longer able to get a cheap price with you, they are going to leave you and never come back.

2. Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - General Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - General Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training. Family focused

Cons

It's retail. Hours are ok, could be better.

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg