There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

Work Hard, Sell Hard, Get Paid

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's been a few years since I've been with the company, but overall I learned a lot from the experience. Most of the my fellow coworkers were enjoyable to be around, and it was pretty easy to minimize the time spent with the ones that weren't. The same could be said for the customers. Being a commission/draw-based position, expect to make a lot of money during prime retail months and events, and hope things don't dry up too much outside of those times. If you really want to succeed at selling, know your product inside and out. I think the company supports that as much as they can, but it never hurts to know even more than what they expect.

Cons

Like any other retail position, expect longer hours during the peak holiday season and the occasional customer who expects you to spend an hour with them, and then grinds you and the prices down to where you're basically making nothing at all. Sometimes the management helped with those cases, but other times they submit to the customer just for the sale's sake. Kind of a double-edged sword there I guess. At first our store seemed to be a revolving door of managers, which didn't help much with stability, but we eventually got a manager that really meant business and the whole staff benefited from that. Our store was located in a lower-income area with multiple competitors (whose isn't nowadays?), but too often we ran into "he said, she said", customers making their own impossible prices, or people willing to buy that day, but failing credit apps. Still, I believe there is success to be had if you are of the right mindset and have supportive and hungry managers. Certainly wouldn't hurt to work in a higher-traffic store as well.

reviews filtered by
  1. Pretty good working for the compan

Current Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Products are fun and customers seem to like the format

Cons

Pretty long hours with commissioned sales peopld

Horrible, Unorganized, Untrained

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None you pay for your clothes, management is nowhere to be found, pretty much I was left to find my own way

Cons

Pay for work clothing, Training pay is low, Draw-Commission system

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg