Good Old Boy Network..not great for Female Mgrs

Former Employee - Sales Manager
Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great investment in training of employees

Cons

Promote young party-happy frat-types with no mgmt seasoning

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Some ups, some downs

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at hhgregg full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really good people in the store environment typically, pay is not terrible

Cons

50 hour weeks, high turnover, taking a relocation contract with them could be the biggest mistake you ever make. When the company had strong core values, it most often promoted within. In the past 3 years they specifically targeted veteran management and outed them, replacing them with external candidates from Sears

Look elsewhere, It is a waste of your time.

Former Employee - Electronics Sales in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Electronics Sales in Orland Park, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. Thats about it.

Cons

I have worked many retail commission sales jobs in the past and have been pretty successful doing it. So when I got an offer of easily making $70k+/year after a year of being laid off, I jumped on it. Some management even said I could clear $100k (which I obviously didnt believe).

While technically possible to make a decent buck in a company with that pay structure, it is not feasable. There is little profit left on consumer electronics and there is just too much competition for one to make serious money, because your consumer will go to the store with the lowest cost, no matter how much "value" you put in your services.

I was promised great hours and great insurance. Ended up working typically 50-55 hours a week, which most of that time counts against you. With it being a draw system, the more hours you work can put you in the red and you owe them money, which you pay back on your next check. out of the lets say 40 or so associates I worked with maybe 3 or 4 of them would "beat draw" so they wouldn't owe the company money.

The insurance plan they had was a joke, Management turned over every month or two. Also sales associates didn't last long either. To my knowledge the management is still hiring people and saying they will make $60k-70k, In reality, if you make more than minimum wage at that company in electronics sales youre doing well there. Appliance sales are slightly different because there is more profit on them, but its not much better.

Overall, I would have preferred working minimum wage at wendys.

Advice to Management

Get bent