There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg

Look elsewhere, It is a waste of your time.

Former Employee - Electronics Sales in Orland Park, IL
Former Employee - Electronics Sales in Orland Park, IL

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job. Thats about it.

Cons

I have worked many retail commission sales jobs in the past and have been pretty successful doing it. So when I got an offer of easily making $70k+/year after a year of being laid off, I jumped on it. Some management even said I could clear $100k (which I obviously didnt believe).

While technically possible to make a decent buck in a company with that pay structure, it is not feasable. There is little profit left on consumer electronics and there is just too much competition for one to make serious money, because your consumer will go to the store with the lowest cost, no matter how much "value" you put in your services.

I was promised great hours and great insurance. Ended up working typically 50-55 hours a week, which most of that time counts against you. With it being a draw system, the more hours you work can put you in the red and you owe them money, which you pay back on your next check. out of the lets say 40 or so associates I worked with maybe 3 or 4 of them would "beat draw" so they wouldn't owe the company money.

The insurance plan they had was a joke, Management turned over every month or two. Also sales associates didn't last long either. To my knowledge the management is still hiring people and saying they will make $60k-70k, In reality, if you make more than minimum wage at that company in electronics sales youre doing well there. Appliance sales are slightly different because there is more profit on them, but its not much better.

Overall, I would have preferred working minimum wage at wendys.

Get bent

480 Other Employee Reviews for hhgregg (View Most Recent)

Always a learning experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Matthews, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Merchandiser in Matthews, NC

I have been working at hhgregg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love interacting with the customers.

Cons

I have to work nights and weekends.

n/a

Work Hard, Sell Hard, Get Paid

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at hhgregg full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's been a few years since I've been with the company, but overall I learned a lot from the experience. Most of the my fellow coworkers were enjoyable to be around, and it was pretty easy to minimize the time spent with the ones that weren't. The same could be said for the customers. Being a commission/draw-based position, expect to make a lot of money during prime retail months and events, and hope things don't dry up too much outside of those times. If you really want to succeed at selling, know your product inside and out. I think the company supports that as much as they can, but it never hurts to know even more than what they expect.

Cons

Like any other retail position, expect longer hours during the peak holiday season and the occasional customer who expects you to spend an hour with them, and then grinds you and the prices down to where you're basically making nothing at all. Sometimes the management helped with those cases, but other times they submit to the customer just for the sale's sake. Kind of a double-edged sword there I guess. At first our store seemed to be a revolving door of managers, which didn't help much with stability, but we eventually got a manager that really meant business and the whole staff benefited from that. Our store was located in a lower-income area with multiple competitors (whose isn't nowadays?), but too often we ran into "he said, she said", customers making their own impossible prices, or people willing to buy that day, but failing credit apps. Still, I believe there is success to be had if you are of the right mindset and have supportive and hungry managers. Certainly wouldn't hurt to work in a higher-traffic store as well.

There are newer employer reviews for hhgregg